Ballet shoe ribbons?

r3dh3d

Dumb question, but what is the low down on these, these days?

Back in the day, I just bought ribbon from the fabric shop.

But now a) no fabric shops and B) everything is much less laid back and it would probably be the wrong sort of ribbon.

What is the best / specified width? Type? Supplier? Is there more to it than just buying Berisford satin in the right colour on eBay?

I know I could just buy a kit from a dance retailer, but my gut is telling me that's a rip-off. Plus might as well get a reel, dd is going to need it.

I think you'll need to find out first if your dance teacher has a preference.

The 2 main types sold in dance shops are: pale salmon pink satin with a rough side (?2cm thick) and 'Bunheads' packs which are wider and paler and more pliable.

I agree dance shops are making a killing on the former - they cut it off a big spool. The Bunheads is even more expensive as is pre-packaged.

My only comment on buying a huge amount yourself is how old is your dd? Once onto soft blocks and pointe shoes my dd has gone for the (even more expensive ) ribbon with elastic sections.

You could buy a reel between a group of you - that would probably be worth it...

Narrow proper ballet shoe ribbon for ballet shoes - proper ribbon as unfortunately if you try ordinary ribbon (as some mums did years ago!) The ribbon curls and knots too tight, you will therefore end up having to cut the ribbon off. Proper ballet shoe ribbon can be removed, washed, ironed and reused again. Wider ribbon for pointe shoes and older children as feet and ankles bigger!