Swan Lake -- Paris Opera Ballet -- Myriam Ould-Braham

There is a very lengthy and interesting discussion at Dansomanie (mostly in french) about the December Swan Lake series and in particular, the apparently very fine performances of Myriam Ould-Braham. It starts here with a review by Haydn.

http://www.forum-dansomanie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135

The comments are almost unanimously charged with praise for this exceptionally beautiful artist. She has been with the POB for a long time, was finally made an Etoile (Principal Dancer) and many feel was not seen nearly enough because of limited casting. She will be dancing a remarkable eight performances (nineteen Swan Lakes scheduled) this month. Maybe her star is finally rising. I tried to get a regular ticket but was unable. I was going to take a six hour train ride and assume all the rather high expenses to do this.

Tickets can still be obtained at a normal price through the POB online ticket resale service, but this takes a certain amount of internet agility. If you can't get across the Channel you might at least enjoy this fine and interesting discussion.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 2

There is a very lengthy and interesting discussion at Dansomanie (mostly in french) about the December Swan Lake series and in particular, the apparently very fine performances of Myriam Ould-Braham. It starts here with a review by Haydn.

http://www.forum-dansomanie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135

The comments are almost unanimously charged with praise for this exceptionally beautiful artist. She has been with the POB for a long time, was finally made an Etoile (Principal Dancer) and many feel was not seen nearly enough because of limited casting. She will be dancing a remarkable eight performances (nineteen Swan Lakes scheduled) this month. Maybe her star is finally rising. I tried to get a regular ticket but was unable. I was going to take a six hour train ride and assume all the rather high expenses to do this.

Tickets can still be obtained at a normal price through the POB online ticket resale service, but this takes a certain amount of internet agility. If you can't get across the Channel you might at least enjoy this fine and interesting discussion.

Do enjoy, Buddy.  She is dancing with Mathias Heymann, one of my most favourite dancers in the current POB firmament.  They are glorious together. - and I, for one, like the Nureyev White Box production.  (Has it been seen here?  I've only ever seen it in Paris and New York.)   

• Like 1

Bruce's comment:

"Do enjoy, Buddy.  She is dancing with Mathias Heymann, one of my most favourite dancers in the current POB firmament.  They are glorious together. - and I, for one, like the Nureyev White Box production.  (Has it been seen here?  I've only ever seen it in Paris and New York.)"

Bruce, unfortunately I probably won't be able as I leave Europe in about a week. Please go and tell us all about it.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

I have to say I think one of the 2 shows I am seeing is with Miriam on 24th, so I shall be thrilled to see her thanks for this!!

Great way to spend Christmas Eve. Yes, the last time I checked she is indeed scheduled for the 24th. Don't forget to take an evening walk down the Champs-Élysées. It's beautifully lit up during the holidays.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 2

When Laura Hecquet and Josua Hoffalt withdrew from the current run of Swan Lake earlier in the month, most of their performances were reallocated to Myriam Ould-Braham and Mathias Heymann.

Tickets sometimes become available on the main POB web site, in addition to the ticket exchange forum. E.g., there is currently a ticket available for tomorrow night. From experience, last-minute travel costs can be so high, however, that the ticket on offer becomes unattractive.

When Laura Hecquet and Josua Hoffalt withdrew from the current run of Swan Lake earlier in the month, most of their performances were reallocated to Myriam Ould-Braham and Mathias Heymann.

Tickets sometimes become available on the main POB web site, in addition to the ticket exchange forum. E.g., there is currently a ticket available for tomorrow night. From experience, last-minute travel costs can be so high, however, that the ticket on offer becomes unattractive.

Thanks, Duck, for this information.

A few years ago when several of the Mariinsky's top ballerinas were out, mainly maternity leave, eyes turned to the much lesser used Oxana Skorik. She is now perhaps their major star with probably the most performances. Maybe, based of what you've written, this might be the moment for Myriam Ould-Braham.

Added:

Glad to have read your comment, Estreiiita.

Edited by Buddy

Great way to spend Christmas Eve. Yes, the last time I checked she is indeed scheduled for the 24th. Don't forget to take an evening walk down the Champs-Élysées. It's beautifully lit up during the holidays.

Thank you for the tip it is a lovely sight indeed but I am probably too tight on time but have seen it before...the animated Printemps windows are another joy to behold! Fingers xd I see Miriam. Will report back.

• Like 2

I saw her first Swan Lake. Miscast as Odette or Odile and totally overshadowed by her partner. Giving Ould Braham 8 Swan Lakes, none to Bourdon and only a single one to O'Neill in Paris is already considered by people in the ballet circles to be a scandal. Even a bigger scandal is giving a Swan Lake to Baulac. Millepied at least knew who talented people in the company were even though he passed them over in promotions. Dupont seems to be totally ignoring such thing as talent, her casting decisions seem to reflect the hierarchy in the company. Odette/Odile selection for this bloc of Swan Lakes at the Opéra is the most disappointing since I can remember. Only O'Neill, unfortunately in a single appearance, seems to be well cast, Pagliero, while not a Swan, at least promises to be interesting.

Edited by assoluta

I was surprised not to see O'Neill cast as O/O in fact I really was hoping I would see her in the role so was disappointed she only has a lesser role. I will also see Pagliero. Of course it is entirely possible that the dancers who could have done the roles are away having booked holidays once they knew they would not be required although that is a doubtful suggestion as the company probably all have holiday at the same time.