frame for pointe shoes?

Quintus

I was browsing Twitter last night when Olivia Cowley happened to tweet saying she was selling off old pointe shoes signed by RB dancers in aid of Alzheimers - so on an impulse I bought a pair, thinking I'd stick them on the wall in the study.  Has anyone come across a cheap but presentable way of displaying them?  presumably should be behind glass to avoid attracting dust.

You were lucky Quintus, it looks as though they sold out very quickly!

I had a pair of shoes box framed a few years ago by a local framer.  They did a fabulous job but it cost me around £50.

I was recently given a pair in a pink gauze bag and I have just hung that on the wall. 

It's pot luck as to whose you get, which lends some excitement.  Paypal, bless them, told me my first order had failed  - so I reentered  - and both orders then went through with immediate payment taken, grrrr.  I emailed and asked her to cancel one, but we shall see - may have to auction one pair on again...  

• Like 1

I too had a pair done at a local picture framers, but the frame is quite large and I'm running out of wall space. Nao Sakuma's just hide in a box. I'm thinking of having a swap around, but I've been saying that for years.

Instead of a box frame, a friend of mine put her archeological item of interest in one of those multi faceted glass boxes with a mirror at the back, more usually seen as a container for a light or candle. It is actually very effective as it catches the light, you can see the contents from different angles and it doesn't look out of proportion on the wall.

• Like 3

the hobbycraft box frames look like good candidates.  I'll wait till they turn up so I can get the size right - hopefully they're from someone with small feet  :lol:

has to be said my wife is distinctly sceptical about this purchase and is waiting by the letterbox with the Febreze

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 6

If they are traditional pointe shoes I would just make sure you air them well to make sure they are dry before framing. We end up with a bag full of dead shoes and I've never noticed them smelling - reality is they are hardly on feet more than a dozen hours before being useless.

This thread reminds me my dd has a pair of signed shoes from about 10 years ago under her bed. I can't even remember who signed them! Maybe I ought to dig them out and frame them.

• Like 3

.... hopefully they're from someone with small feet  :lol:

They have just turned up and they are indeed from someone with particularly tiny feet - Francesca Hayward!  Very happy to have got her, she's a personal favourite :)

• Like 2

Gosh she uses lots of elastic!

Hope your wife didn't have to get the Frebreze out.

No, other than the toe fabric they don't bear signs of heavy use and in any case I can't imagine any item of Ms H's being anything less than fragrant  :lol:   

• Like 2