Auditioning for upper school pending Brexit

Flora

Does anyone have any info on whether the audition process for the top schools could be impacted by Brexit uncertainties this year. My impression is schools like ENB have taken on incredibly few UK dancers in the last couple of years although they do seem to take a material number of EEA  dancers as well as non-EEA and there is usually an audition tour to Italy.

Presumably there is a risk that funding for EEA students could end before training is finished (assuming Article 50 is invoked within 6 months and given the two year negotiation period cannot be extended). It will be interesting to see if that results in fewer EEA applicants this year or schools being more reticent about taking EEA applicants.    

I believe EEA students are still eligible for funding here and British students are still eligible for funding at European schools such as Hamburg and Berlin. But if that is assessed on an annual basis then, as Flora points out, some students might find themselves without funding for their final year. 

However, as it's all a guessing game at the moment, I wouldn't think it would have an effect on applications/acceptances until Article 50 is invoked. And EEA students from wealthier families (i.e. those who have a household income of over £90,000 a year and fall outside DADA eligibility anyway) would be unaffected by the changes.

I believe EEA students are still eligible for funding here and British students are still eligible for funding at European schools such as Hamburg and Berlin. But if that is assessed on an annual basis then, as Flora points out, some students might find themselves without funding for their final year. 

However, as it's all a guessing game at the moment, I wouldn't think it would have an effect on applications/acceptances until Article 50 is invoked. And EEA students from wealthier families (i.e. those who have a household income of over £90,000 a year and fall outside DADA eligibility anyway) would be unaffected by the changes.

u

It will be interesting to see because at present the DADA is awarded for the duration of the course (3 years) with no reassessment unless there is a declared income change. A possible administrative nightmare ahead for the schools involved and a smaller audition pool in years to come depending on the outcome of the brexit negotiations..... Keep calm and carry on

What worries me is the job market. Lets hope that the supply of European jobs for UK dancers doesn't dry up, because if it does, and British companies are still recruiting from Europe (as they say they will), then British dancers will lose out both ways. No work abroad, and not enough opportunities in the UK either.

• Like 1

I believe EEA students are still eligible for funding here and British students are still eligible for funding at European schools such as Hamburg and Berlin.

As far as I understand it, there are no fees for Hamburg (not looked into Berlin) whatsoever. No funding required as the training is free for ALL successful students.

• Like 1

Harwel does that also include non EEA students though? Or just free for German applicants and all EEA?

I can understand EEA applicants must currently be treated equally funding wise and in the application process pre Brexit to avoid breaching EU law (although the POB seems to get round this by indirect discrimination/requiring qualifications at 16 you could only realistically achieve if you were training in France from the outset).   

Hamburg website states that training for the theatre class - 16+ is free. No qualification, no exceptions. They get funding from the Hamburg state for their school. I know this was also true when I trained in Frankfurt, my parents paid no fees and nor did my friend who came from the phillipines.

• Like 2

What worries me is the job market. Lets hope that the supply of European jobs for UK dancers doesn't dry up, because if it does, and British companies are still recruiting from Europe (as they say they will), then British dancers will lose out both ways. No work abroad, and not enough opportunities in the UK either.

This is all very interesting and I'm following this feed. We live in GB but not classed as the UK (similar to the I.O.M) . So no funding eligible through the Gov scheme of DaDa's. However, we have our own funding system then classed as overseas students (for uni's huge fee hike) not sure on UK Ballet Schools. Anyone from the EU has the right to work here but we are not free to work in the EU as of now. Something which might affect all UK dancers in the future. Will be following that with keen interest. One thing to secure a place at vocational training school for our children and with all the stress with the financial commitments involved but then the job opportunities when they have graduated is all so overwhelming.  Is it best just to take on step at a time (en pointe, obviously) then worry about jobs later on down the line. Since no one has any answers at present.  

• Like 1