Help you wonderful knowledgable people! (advice on funding for dance schools and non-dance uni)

fairytoes

Firstly I have posted a couple of times but was so involved in my little post that I completely forgot to say hi to everyone and say how much I LOVE this forum and I can't wait to get up each morning and read all your news:) Anyway back to my topic we are currently living in Florida where we have been for the last 8 years. We may well be moving back to the UK sometime this year. We are British ( well DH is from NZ ). We have 2 children DD aged 10 and DS aged 17. DD is very keen to audition for vocational schools but my question is if we have not lived in the UK for a few years would we be entitled to any funding if DD was lucky enough to be offered a place or would we have to have lived back in the UK for a certain amount of years? Same question really for DS going to university, sorry he's not a dancer!!!!!!!!!!. Thank you all you wonderful people I hope someone somewhere has knowledge on this. Xxxxxx

Hi FairyToes

Generally speaking for Dance funding you will have had to have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to applying for it. This may be different if your children are UK passport holders, but I would image it would still be difficult.

Typo edit-

Edited by Dancersdad

Thank you you lovely people for all your advice so far and thank you Spanner for welcoming me:) you have no idea how much this site has helped me whilst living in Florida. Whenever I feel a little homesick I just pop onto the site and I feel so much better just catching up with everyone's news even though we don't know each other I feel I have my friends back in the UK:)))

• Like 2

Generally speaking for Dance funding you will have had to have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to applying for it. This may be different if your children are UK passport holders, but I would image it would still be difficult.

The rule is the same for UK passport holders. Our DDs are British and were denied funding as we live in France and they haven't been UK residents for 2 calendar years...

I think that was in relation to Dance and Drama Awards ie post 16 funding. This is what it says on direct.gov.uk about Nationality and Residency eligibility for DADAs:

'You could be eligible for an award if both of the following apply:

•you are a national of a European Union (EU)

•you have been resident in the EU or an EEA country for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of your course

You may also be eligible if you have refugee status, or if you have indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK and you've been resident in the UK since you were granted this status.

If you have been out of the United Kingdom or EU because your parents have been temporarily employed elsewhere during the last three years, you will be considered to have been resident throughout the whole period.'

However it is different for MDS (funding for 11 - 16 training).. This is what it says on www.education.gov.uk:

'A child can get a place if he or she has been living in the British Islands for at least two calendar years before taking up a place. Special rules apply if your child has been temporarily abroad, or is a refugee, or is the child of a worker from certain other European countries.'

I think that schools do have funds and scholarships which can help candidates from overseas.

• Like 2