Saying No to Vocational Training

CaineGreyson

Hi everyone,

I began dancing six months ago at 16, hoping to one day dance professionally. The more I danced, the more I realised just how difficult it would be to get to that point, but luckily I currently dance with the only ballet school in Ireland to offer vocational training.

While I wasn't accepted at first because I didn't have a strong enough technical base, I was just offered a place in the full-time vocational training program. I was ecstatic as you can imagine- but sadly my plans have fallen through.

My family are completely unsupportive and financially I just can't afford the training or the travel costs.

Does anyone have any tips for how to turn down vocational training and move on with ballet? I'm struggling to stay focused as it really feels as though this is a once-in-a-lifetime offer for a late beginner like me, but yet I can't do it.
Has anyone dealt with this problem of unsupportive family or financial difficulty before, and if so, how?

Thanks for all your kind words,

CaineGreyson

Congratulations.  Completely agree...speak to the school and also have you tried sitting down with your family and really telling them how much this means to you and how much you want it.  Don't be too harsh on them, they probably realise what an incredibly difficult career you've chosen and they don't want you to be disappointed.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.  

• Like 1

Good effort for being so ambitious! Keep at it, late starters can be serious dark horses. It sounds like you're aware of just how difficult this path is going to be which is a bonus to be realistic.

Is there a specific teacher you get on with well? Perhaps you can volunteer your time to assist with the baby/young classes and in return be paid with your lessons? 

You can try to make the most out of each lesson by buying the syllabus or asking for a copy of the class then repeating it by yourself in a church hall or local cheap space. 

Do all the other students know your situation? Potentially one may live nearby and be able to give you a lift in to classes?

Your parents, you'll just have to prove wrong with your dedication!

You're going to have to work very hard, I wish you the best of luck and success. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum, Caine. I would also try and emphasise to your parents just how strongly you feel about trying to persue this career,and like hoglett said, do let us know how things progress. I also think it might help your parents, who may see only academic courses as being worthwhile,that you say to them you could continue with your academic studies ,if you wanted to, at any time in your life, but that a dancer's career is very short and you have to train while still young. Good luck.

You need a plan. Write it down and ask to sit down with them and talk it through. Explain how much this means to you because of how important dance is to you.

Tell them this is a rare opportunity given your age and so the school believes you have potential. Look at the schools graduates and where they go on to. Is that where you think you would like to work? They are investing in your future so you need to reassure them the money will not be wasted. Show them your plan for before, during and after training. Have a plan B.

Nothing is certain but you can tell them your love of dance, how hard you will work and the huge number of other skills that will make you employable in any field. Ask them to give you, 3, 5, 10 years, whatever is reasonable, to make this work. If it doesn't you'll start on your plan B happy you had a wonderful opportunity and gaining lots of skills. Hopefully it won't come to that! Congratulations on gaining a place, that is a huge achievement. I hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by munchkin16
  • Like 3

Can you keep up training as often as possible for the next 2 years and then try for a degree course at 18? If you're able to do A'levels this may help with your parents and try for 18. Better for you and them. It shows your commitment, gives you qualifications to fall back on and gives you more training. A ballet career from starting at 16 is going to be a really tough ask so 5 years training is better the 3.

• Like 1