Bailarin

Thanks all.  Have bought some jet glue-alike stuff as she says that's what everyone is now using and will see how that works for now.  Just really odd that nowhere sells the bottles of shoe hardener anymore.  Have bookmarked those other ideas!  Thank you!

I wonder if 'Decoupatch' (think that is a brand) or similar glue would work? It dries very hard & clear - an added advantage as I recall a hideous rusty brown stain on living room carpet from spilling shellac many years ago - sorry Dad :-) ! Also water resistant (?) I think so less chance of treated shoes sticking to tights when in use!!!) Widely available in craft shops.....

I recall an EYB 'care for your pointe shoes' session where it was suggested that garden wood preservative products which had particular strength against wet rot were perfect for this purpose. A Ronseal product was mentioned but I am not sure of its name (maybe it's what it says on the tin.?!) The power of advertising!

Yes have had that wet rot wood hardener - also recommended to us at EYB (it IS what is says on the tin Karen!  :D ).  Maybe will just get that again then as a back up.  After googling a lot I found out that several American companies use "Hot Stuff" glue (the one in the red bottle) and have found it in the UK although it says it's made by a different company but anyway, have ordered some of that to try too!