What to do whilst recovering from injury

Not sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

On Monday I dislocated my big toe badly whilst coaching a gymnastics class. To cut a long story short the hospital here couldn't get it back in place and stay there so I had to go to a bigger hospital to have an operation to put a temporary wire in to keep my toe in place whilst the joint heals. I've been up at school watching classes but feel completely useless doing nothing at all.

Was wondering if anyone knew if anything I could do that doesn't involve moving my injured foot or putting weight on it.

Also has anyone had and injury like this before and how long approximately were you out of dance for(I know this varies from person to person)

Thank you in advance

Edited by Guest

That sounds nasty and very painful. I guess your staple injury exercise program is Pilates, floor barre and stretching. Have you got a plaster or boot on the foot to protect it? I have had a lady in my Pilates class recently who had a bunion operation and we managed full classes with minor adjustment to work around the sore toe joint. Perhaps try to find someone who can offer reformer lessons too. Good luck for a speedy recovery.

• Like 3

It's just bandaged(although I have no idea what's under it, I assume some sort of splint) so I have to be so so careful not to bang the toe because I don't want it to dislocate again. The pain isn't too bad it's hardly hurt since I did it haha x

I second Colman here: check with your school first in case there's anything specific they'd like you to be doing. Is there a physio or strength / conditioning coach at school that you can ask for assistance or advice? If not, then you can do floor barre, pilates, any fixed weights (like at a gym) that involve sitting (eg lots of the upper body), rowing machine (wear trainers). If you can walk, then you could probably try using a cross trainer but not if you're not walking. 

Thank you both, the teachers at school have suggested to just stay off it completely till Easter in two weeks then once the wire is taken out over Easter we will have a more accurate picture of what I can and can't do. Just don't want to risk banging it or too much movement to move things around whilst healing xx

No currently not walking as I have a wire holding the joint in place and some stitches(hopefully the stitches should be out in a fortnight)

Also - I forgot to add earlier, while you're watching classes, take a notebook or exercise book with you and write down all of the exercises and corrections/feedback given. You can also use it to identify what you like about certain dancers' work, and/or what feedback you'd give them if you were the teacher. If they're good friends you could even give them that information after the class (both positive and constructive). Watching might be dull and frustrating but it can also be a really good learning experience. There are other good tips here: http://dancefullout.com/2011/07/dancing-injury/

• Like 2

I dislocated a toe on my right foot about 5 years ago. The first week I remember being very difficult as even driving the car was too painful. My dancer teacher made me stay off class completely for about three weeks. I then just went back gradually with jumping movements being the last thing I was able to do. I only mention it because I made a complete recovery despite my toe being at a very weird angle when I dislocated it. Good luck!

Thank you mnemo. Which toe was it that you dislocated? I'm constantly scared at the moment that my toe is doing weird things in my sleep and just hoping that ilunder all the bandages it's doing what it's meant to haha

It was my little toe - I caught it on a door frame whilst tearing round the house in bare feet (don't ask!! lol). I never realised how much a little toe does until mine wasn't doing it anymore. I had real trouble with foot wear for about a week due to the swelling and wore only very sturdy trainers for a month because I was paranoid about knocking my damaged toe again. I also wore very thick socks at night (not a great look I know) as like you I was worried about damaging it when I was asleep. Protection and patience for your foot are the fastest way to recovery - and I wish you a speedy one.

Ooo I can sympathise with the pain mnemo! Mine is my big toe so all bandaged up at the moment and got a wire in it for four weeks???? Just hope it heals properly so I can continue to dance on it as normal when I'm recovered ????

My children learned some interesting new words when it happened :wub: . Sounds like you have had good medical attention and I hope you have positive news in 4 weeks. Mine did make a complete recovery although it took a while.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would post a quick update. Four days after having the wire removed and exactly six weeks after I dislocated my toe, I went back to class, even if it's just doing barre for now????????