Ballet Cymru - Tir et al

I saw this last night and understand it is a production that has toured before.  I booked without any particular expectations, but the idea sounded intriguing: Cerys Matthews, whose early career I'm familiar with, singing revived traditional Welsh songs accompanied by Ballet Cymru, with whom I was not at all familiar.  Fair to say if I'd seen advertised an evening of Welsh songs by Mifanwy Pugh and with no dancing, I'd not have leapt at the chance.  Well, what a delight it proved to be!  The first two pieces were unaccompanied by singing, but the very youthful and passionate company were very engaging - not the polish of a big company but still very impressive and with bags of warmth and charm.  The final section saw Cerys on one side of the stage with her guitar, and the dancers reflecting a variety of moods in the accompanying choreography, but typically very uplifting - broad smiles across the audience. The latter mood changed with a final tribute to a company member who had died a few weeks ago. Cerys' singing was emotionally very powerful and a couple of the dancers could not hold back the tears.  Quite a few people in the audience were sniffing and dabbing too and I must admit things got a bit blurry at one point ..  So this was an evening that opened my eyes both to a new genre of music, and to a young company that I will make a point of seeking out in future.  Did anyone else go?

• Like 4

Was that the last song, Dave? That was a real heart wrencher.. I saw one of the dancers in the lobby with I presume her mother, in floods of tears. Clearly a painful time for the company, so all the more credit for getting through the earlier upbeat parts of the performance with such control

• Like 2

Thanks - you're right, I since saw a blog entry that also mentioned it.  I did loiter for a while with the intention of buying a copy of Tir from Cerys but had to leave before she surfaced; so this track would have been on a different CD in any case. 

I didn't see the production last night, but I saw it earlier in the year in Cardiff, as part of a double bill (no Marc Brew). That evening, many of the audience knew the songs and were encourage to join in. This really added to the atmosphere - I doubt that happened in London. When I saw it, I really enjoyed the Celtic Concerto. I always think it's very special when the harp takes centre stage. It doesn't happen often enough.

Ballet Cymru are, IMO, the best small company in the UK. They are always worth seeing.

• Like 2