New Bolshoi Ballet Director - Makhar Vaziev - from March 2016

It has become clear via Twitter that a new Director for the Bolshoi Ballet from March 2016 was announced this morning - Makhar Vaziev, previously Director at the Mariinsky, and currently Director at La Scala ballet, Milan.  (I make no claim to have the Bolshoi saga of the past two years at my fingertips but, as I recall, he will have fewer powers within the Theatre than his predecessors.)  With luck, Ismene Brown will have an English translation of what has occurred in time for tomorrow's Links.

• Like 1

This is indeed interesting given the Ismene Brown piece that was in this morning's BcoF links.  I quote three sentences from that same to remain compliant with BcoF protocols.

All of which may explain why Makhar Vaziev, formerly the longtime 'acting' ballet director at the Mariinsky under Valery Gergiev, let it be known recently that he had been approached by Urin to take the new downgraded Bolshoi ballet job, but had no interest in repeating his unhappy experience as a hamstrung subordinate. As artistic director at La Scala Ballet, Milan, Vaziev, 55, is at last flexing his creative and programming wings and enjoying international success.

In that same article Brown mentions that Filin is to remain responsible for the Bolshoi's London tour to the ROH, Summer 2016.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Here is a link to Vaziev's first interview after the announcement translated by Ismene Brown. http://ismeneb.com/blogs-list/151026-makhar-vaziev-appointed-bolshoi-ballet-head.html

I find it kind of strange that all of the talk about the huge La Scala Swan Lake project to be completed, as it is distinctly my impression that the new choreography will be created in Zürich, and shown in  La Scala with Zakharova dancing what has already been created.

EDIT : Vaziev rather than Vasiliev, as I originally wrote. I don't want to give more scares ;) Thank you Bruce Wall.

Edited by SwissBalletFan

Here is a link to Vasiliev's first interview after the announcement translated by Ismene Brown. http://ismeneb.com/blogs-list/151026-makhar-vaziev-appointed-bolshoi-ballet-head.html

I find it kind of strange that all of the talk about the huge La Scala Swan Lake project to be completed, as it is distinctly my impression that the new choreography will be created in Zürich, and shown in  La Scala with Zakharova dancing what has already been created.

Think you mean interview with Vaziev, SwissBalletFan.  It would I think have been extraordinary indeed if Ms. Brown had been running to I. Vasiliev, currently a guest principal with the Bolshoi, for immediate comment ... That said it might have been V. Vasiliev - himself a former Bolshoi leader ... You did make me look ;) ... Bless you for that.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • alison changed the title to Bolshoi Ballet - News