Vienna State Ballet - Don Quixote

I finally got to see a ballet performance in Vienna on Tuesday which is an ambition fulfilled.  Not only was it a performance of Don Quixote but Kitri was danced by Liudmilla Konovalova whom I have long admired since seeing her in Berlin years ago.  I was delighted to see Liudmilla again and I was not disappointed.  Her dancing was lovely and she was beautifully partnered by Robert Gabdullin.  Both were most capable dancers and the grand pdd was executed perfectly to rousing applause. Liudmilla completed her fouettes with no trouble and Robert likewise his circle of grand jetes.  Olga Esina played the role of Queen of the Dryads and she was excellent, especially her perfect rock solid Italian fouettes which were a treat to see and received well deserved applause - she could give lessons to the Royal Ballet!  The roles of Espada, Street Dancer and Cupid were all well danced as well and the corps de ballet were generally good.  There was no Gyspy Queen or hence her mad scene.

For me where things fell down were the Nureyev choreography, the Georgiadis sets and costumes and the peculiar musical arrangement of Minkus' music by Lanchberry.  Espada had hardly anything to do in the first Act, and the usual overture was much curtailed.  The Dream scene usually draws gasps when the curtain goes up but here it was quite a dull scene with only a back drop, the sides of the stage were just beige canvas (as they were throughout much of the performance) and even the costumes were pale green and rather muted in comparison to the Bolshoi, Royal Ballet and Mariinsky.

So all things considered the performance was nice but not as wow-ing as the Bolshoi or Royal Ballet.

I was thrilled to meet several dancers, and most importantly Liudmilla, at the stage door.  Liudmilla told me she will be dancing at the Russian Icons Gala in London in 2016 with Matthew Golding (who hasn't he danced with?!) so that made me very happy as I already have my ticket for that!  I would definitely return to Vienna to see something else - Onegin and Mayerling are scheduled in the new year so plenty of reason to go again!  The Opera House was lovely, very similar shape and size wise to the Palais Garnier but not quite as ornate and it was comfortable certainly from where I was sitting and had a good view.

• Like 5

Thank you Timmie that is very kind to say!  I have to say since I discovered ballet it has become the catalyst for my travels -and the great thing is you don't need to know another language to understand it :)

I have just been checking Wiener Staatsoper for Mayerling - there will be 4 performances (only!) on May 2,4,15,19.  If I go it will have to be 2 or 4 as I hope to be on another ballet trip later in May!!

• Like 2

I'm hi-jacking this thread to ask a question because you seem so knowledgeable about the European companies' programming, DQ.

Which European company is performing The Green Table this season? This was mentioned somewhere but I can't find any reference to it now.

Thanks very much for the report. I have to smile a bit at the thought of people making special trips to Vienna for the ballet though: how things have changed! Back when I went in the 1970s - and again in the 1980s - the company was not worth a visit. All the effort went into the opera, which had (and has) a grand and proud tradition, much public interest and state support. The ballet seemed like an afterthought, with dancers seemingly drawn only from the (very small) local pool - Austria is a country of only 8million - and, rumour had it, often hired for corrupt reasons, a favour to a politician who had a niece who liked dancing and that sort of thing.

Everything changed when the borders to the east opened at the end of 1980s/beginning of 1990s. Wonderful Soviet trained dancers became available, at rock bottom prices, with bodies like racehorses and a technique the locals had never seen. And happily Vienna recognised the opportunity, which led, it seems to me, to essentially a new start for the company. Hence the current competitive standard. I agree they are worth visiting now, and saw many exciting shows when we lived there in the noughties.

If anyone knows more I'd love to hear, as the only people I have tried to discuss this with have been Austrians, not known for their objectivity when it comes to their country.

• Like 2

Fascinating- thanks Don Q.

I have a happy memory of seeing Nutcracker at Vienna opera house in I think 2002...The production was really beautiful, very tasteful and restrained, all white and silver;  the orchestral playing superb (as you would expect) and the dancing technically very good. Interesing what you say about the change in standard.

One thing struck me was people just coming along from their Xmas shopping to the opera house with shopping bags etc. Going there seemed a lot more like a normal part of life than visiting  the ROH which is very much an evening out. I have observed this elsewhere in Europe, a real difference to the UK.

• Like 3

I have to say since I discovered ballet it has become the catalyst for my travels....

Me too!   :)

I found my way to Vienna this past February to see Swan Lake.  I also took the tour of the Vienna State Opera, which was very nice.  It is a beautiful theater.

There are so many ballets, opera houses, cities and countries to visit.  So far I've seen a ballet in 18 European countries.  Yes, ballet is a perfect catalyst for travel.

• Like 1