Should DD take her exam??

Primaballerina1

DD is 12 and was meant to take her ISTD grade 3 ballet exam last Christmas however she was ill on the day and couldn't take it. At Easter she couldn't take it as she was doing a. competition on the same day and she couldn't do it this summer as we were on holiday. She really wants to do it this Xmas as she thinks she will do well- and so does her teacher. She also would need to take it to do a competition she and her teacher wanted her to do.

The problem is her teacher hasn't really mentioned anything about her doing it and she hasn't told her that she will be doing that class next term so she can prepare to do her exam at Xmas. So is it worth taking the exam or not??

Edited by Primaballerina1

Graded exams are not compulsory in that you can "skip" them as far as the RAD is concerned, so I'd be surprised if the ISTD is any different. My dd did ISTD Tap Grade 2 then Grade 5 and missed out 3 and 4, for example.

So no, unlike Vocational Grades (where, for example, in the RAD you have to have passed Intermediate to take Advanced 1) there is no requirement to take it.

Does your dd particularly want to take it?

Edited for clarity.

Have you been given any idea when she would be ready to do the Grade 4 exam? You could ask her teacher about this as if its relatively soon perhaps that is the one to focus on.

Personally I would leave grade 3 now and concentrate on going for the grade 4 at Easter. If she knows the syllabus for grade 3 and isn't to worried about not having the certificate in her portfolio, perhaps it's time to move forward being able to focus more on grade 4 and competitions. x

This year's ISTD competition is now over, and there are age limits, so she may be too old for it next year. That may be why the teacher has stopped talking about it.

If she does grade 4 at Easter would she be able to enter the Grade 4 competition next year?

I would suggest either you or your DD need to discuss the issue with her dance teacher asap. If your DD really really wants to do the G3 exam, it would be very wrong to not permit her to take it - at the end of the day the final decision should be hers alone, based on a full understanding of all the relevant factors.

Edited by youngatheart