RAD Associates

Primaballerina1

Dd did these when she was Grade 2 and absolutely loved it. She would have done them again but each time they've been announced she's had other commitments

The thing I remember most was her saying it was difficult to follow a class with lots of terminology rather than being shown the moves. This was the first time she had experienced that so you may want your DD to brush up on ballet terminology if she doesnt use it much in regular classes.

Oh and take some cash to buy a tshirt if you want one as they sell them on first day and very popular :)

Dd is doing grades 3,4&5 in istd which in rad is the equivalent to grade 4,5&6 though she hasn't been in the equivalent of G6 rad for long. Should she do the grade 4&5 class or 6,7&8??

I think the people best placed to answer that are the RAD. :-)

You should be talking to your teacher to get your DD into the correct class but be assured that the RAD will swap her over if she is in the wrong level.  In any case it is usually the teacher that enters a child for the Associates - the entry form has 2 parts - one for the parent to fill in and one for the teacher to fill in that covers all students he or she is entering.  The acceptance into Associates goes back to the teacher to pass onto the students.

• Like 1

There may well be the odd parent apply direct, depending on personal circumstances but the application form online is still a form for the teacher to fill in details of students she wishes to attend and level they should be at.  The cover sheet for the parent gives details of classes, dates and levels and clearly states correspondence will go through the teacher. When the Associate scheme was first introduced in Birmingham, the idea behind it was that teachers could put forward students who would benefit from the extra classes and the entry forms have not changed since then. It is the regular teacher who should be advising class level and I would have thought this was especially important if a child does not normally study RAD. 

• Like 1

Just to say out of most of the people I know who do this, it's the parents that book children on and it's just a box that's ticked for the grade you want to book in on.

Our teacher advertises the session and is there to answer questions but AFAIK doesn't have any other involvement :)

• Like 1

They have obviously changed it so parents can apply direct as well - the link Pictures sent is the general course application form and Associates is now an option on there.  If you look at the actual application form for Associates only, however, you will see that the teacher has to complete the entry form.

http://www.rad.org.uk/events/associate-classes-kent

The form itself is a pdf so I cannot link it direct.

My DD attended the first ever trial Associates session and with one DD or both I have been involved ever since. That first ever class had students from about four schools only as these schools had been in discussion about what could be offered to students in the area who had the potential and would benefit most. As parents we were asked what we would like from extra classes and if they were something we would be prepared to do. It was definitely conceived as a scheme that teachers would suggest their students for and to make sure that no school dominated there were limits on how many students a school could put forward for each level. Obviously things have changed and evolved as the scheme has grown over the past 4 years or so and perhaps as Annaliesey says the way it is introduced/marketed and booked may affect take up rates

• Like 1

This should work: http://www.rad.org.uk/documents/dance-school-docs/RADSEEAssociateClassesAppPackKENTPh.1.pdf

Primaballerina1, Lynn Blackman at the RAD seems to be the contact for the Kent classes - it may sound obvious but I really would suggest contacting her to ask which the most suitable class would be, if you are entering your dd yourself rather than via an RAD teacher.

• Like 2