Pineapple - advanced ballet?

annaliesey

Hi

does anyone know what they mean by 'Advanced' level as DD wants to do the classical ballet class there tomorrow but doesn't want to muscle in on a class that's properly Advanced :)

I've read the description here

http://www.pineapple.uk.com/studio/teacher/id/ian-knowles/

But figured this could be interpreted differently. I've taken it to mean more than 2 years

My DD is RAD grade 4, inter foundation, 4 months on pointe ... ?

I agree, the advanced class is likely to be at a level for 16+ vocational students and professional dancers taking daily class.

The description you mention for 2 years experience relates to the Elementary class at 3-4.30, that one would probably be fine, but it might be best to give them a call to make sure that the teacher takes under 16's as not all of them do.

• Like 2

Check out 'dance works'. They specify classes that are suitable for under 16s. Elementary is the old name for the present intermediate level, these classes can still be very challenging, I personally wouldn't recommend someone in grade 4 going to this class, can do more harm than good as no one is really watching technique. These teachers are mainly ex professionals gearing their class for adults and pre/professionals they are not generally experienced at teaching children. If you can find a class at dance works taught by Anna DuBoisson for under 16s go for that.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone she's going to do the elementary class instead but it has no pointe work but then as has been said, these don't seem very teaching based classes so might be just as well to avoid pointe until she's more confident :)+

What do you mean they don't seem very teaching based? :unsure:

What do you mean they don't seem very teaching based? :unsure:

I think what that means is that the classes are likely to have 20-30 people in them and the teacher will give general corrections to all, but wouldn't have the time to give more than one or two odd individual corrections to each person (according to dd).

Also for under 16's in a general class they probably won't give any correction which involves actually touching the student to adjust their placement etc. I got round this when dd was younger by giving a note from me to the teacher saying that it would be ok, and agreeing it with them beforehand.

• Like 3

Sorry I didn't know how to best explain what I meant with "teaching focused" but I meant 1:2:1 attention and corrections. There was a fair bit of individual attention though especially when they went across the room one by one.

The elementary was definitely the right class and challenging! Quite a few new steps. Lovely routines from the bit I got to watch and DD and her friend can't wait to go again :)

• Like 2