Dutch National Ballet: Cinderella, Coliseum, July 2015

For me, Christopher Wheeldon's Cinderella is like the curate's egg - good in parts.

But, Anna Tsygankova, Matthew Golding and all the cast were terrific!

I so agree! I hadn't seen Anna Tsygankova before; she was exquisite. I hope she returns to dance in the UK again soon.

• Like 3

I saw the 2 shows on Saturday and loved them both.  I loved the whole story set and costumes.  DNB have been on great form all year having seen them in February and April, so I had no qualms about booking to see Cinderella.  My matinee nearly didn't happen when the poor child behind me threw up.... partly over me (no I didn't go ape these things happen)!  However my point in posting this story is to say how wonderful the Coliseum management and staff were  - they sorted out a clean shirt for me, a new seat (dress circle front row!!) and then when I went to collect my shirt the Wardrobe Dept had only washed and ironed my shirt for me - how's that for turning around a horrid situation?!  I can't thank them enough for saving the afternoon which meant I got to see one of my favourite dancers Maia Makhateli.  I think both Maia and Anna Tsygankova are excellent dancers  and I really loved both performances.  It was lovely to see Nadia Yanowsky in the evening show and I noticed that Matthew Golding passed his flowers to her at the curtain call.  I thought the pumpkin/carriage scene was really cleverly done and I liked the use of the tree throughout.  I met Terpsichore and her friend and we all seemed to really love the show!  I think I will be going to Amsterdam a lot more in future as DNB are really "doing it" for me :-)

• Like 12

What a wonderful gesture from the ENO Don Q Fan. Certainly sounds like they saved the day!

ABSOLUTELY I was totally gobsmacked by them!!

Needless to say I have winged off a letter and cards of thanks to all concerned!

• Like 4

What a wonderful gesture from the ENO Don Q Fan. Certainly sounds like they saved the day!

I find that the ENO are generally fabulous. On one occasion, having sprained my ankle, I felt that it would be difficult to take up my seat at the front of the balcony due to the steep rake and asked if I could exchange my ticket. The ENO offered to seat me and my companion in the dress circle for no extra cost. This is how to treat your customers; take note, ROH!

• Like 5

.................. I met Terpsichore and her friend and we all seemed to really love the show!  ....................

It was very nice to see you again too. 

Also, it was good to meet Coated who sold me her ticket so that Gita could attend the show.  I shall look out for her in future.

............................. I think I will be going to Amsterdam a lot more in future as DNB are really "doing it" for me :-)

I agree. I was in Amsterdam on 6 Feb for the opening night of the Junior Company;s tour and 27 June for Cool Britannia.   I look forward to the Gala on 8 Sept 2015.

You may want to become a Friend of the company which costs only 50 euros a year. They would send you a very pretty magazine and lots of updates by email. The magazine is in Dutch but Dutch is related to English and if you know some German you are well away.

Amsterdam is actually easier and often cheaper to reach than London from many parts of the UK and prices of food, public transport and accommodation are a lot more reasonable.

I like the National Ballet because it has some of my favourite choreographers. such as van Manen, Pastor and Meisner as well as many of my favourite dancers such as Herd and Stout. Ted Brandsen's idea of recruiting some of the world's most promising students and giving them stage experience in the Junior Company is a great idea. That is how the company hired Michaela DePrince. Also, I like the innovative ways in which the company supports itself. In February I met the chap in charge of fund raising who told me that although it reeives some funds from its  local authority it receives far more from private donations and merchandising. There appears to be nothing like the Arts Council England in the Netherlands.

• Like 3

I would have liked to see the Cool Britannia programme. I would have gone to see the Junior Company at the Linbury if I had not been in Antwerp that weekend. I see that George Williamson, whose work I like, is choreographing something for the Holland Festival next year (and a full length ballet for, I think it is, Lithuanian Ballet whose AD is Pastor).

I found Antwerp very reasonably priced (hotel and food as well as tickets to the ballet) and very easy to get around as the centre is quite compact.

• Like 1

I have to say that the Dutch NB merchandise shop in their home theatre was very impressive when I was there.  Such a great range and they often do formal signing sessions after matinees with selected dancers as well, so no hanging around at stage door which does not seem the done thing there anyway.  Also I like how the Friends Desk offer signed pointe shoes for sale too - I would have loved the gold Cinderella shoes but at €100 they were a tad too dear! 

• Like 1

If you enjoyed Cinderella and other performances of the Dutch National Ballet and the Junior Company you may wish to hear Ernst Meisner, the artistic co-ordinator of the Junior Company and a resident choreographer of the company. As he trained at the Royal Ballet School and danced with the Royal Ballet for many years and worked with Kent Ballet and other companies Meisner is also well known here in his own right.

He will be the guest of the London Ballet Circle at 19:30 on Monday 20 July.  The meeting is open to the public.  Entrance is £5 for members of the Circle (annual sub being £12 per year) and £8 for others. 

The Circle meets at the Civil Service Club on Old Scotland Yard which is just off Northumberland Avenue.  Look out for a green white and green tricolour which is the flag of the Nigerian High Commission (equivalent to an embassy). Members of the public can use the bar which serves a very nourishing plate of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, greens and gravy for £7.50. Not bad for London nowadays.

• Like 4