Birmingham Royal Ballet - Promotions, Leavers and Starters - June 2015

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2015

At the end of the 2014/2015 season, Birmingham Royal Ballet is able to announce the following:

Mathias Dingman is promoted from First Soloist to Principal.

Céline Gittens is promoted from Soloist to First Soloist.

Yvette Knight is promoted from First Artist to Soloist.

Karla Doorbar is promoted from Artist to First Artist.

Miki Mizutani is promoted from Artist to First Artist.

Lewis Turner is promoted from Artist to First Artist.

The following dancers will join the company:

Letícia Dias Domingues from Brazil, graduate of the Royal Ballet School, will join as an Artist.

Miko Fogarty from London, graduate of the Indiana Ballet Conservatory, will join as an Artist on a one-year contract.

Beatrice Parma from Italy will join as an Artist from Turkish State Opera and Ballet.

Rachele Pizzillo from Italy, graduate of the Royal Ballet School, will join as an Artist.

Brooke Ray from New Zealand, graduate of Royal Ballet School, will join as an Artist.

Mitsuru Ito from Japan will join as an Artist on a one-year scholarship as a Prix de Lausanne prize winner.

The following dancers leave the company:

Natasha Oughtred leaves Birmingham Royal Ballet after eight years with the Company, six of those years as a Principal. Natasha recently became a mum and has chosen to retire from ballet.

Benjamin Soerel leaves Birmingham Royal Ballet after six years with the Company. Benjamin is returning to the Netherlands to study for a degree in Physiotherapy at Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences.

Lorena Agramonte leaves Birmingham Royal Ballet after a year with the Company.

Laetitia Lo Sardo left Birmingham Royal Ballet earlier this season after seventeen years with the Company, two of those years as a First Soloist. Laetitia is now teaching ballet and enjoying life as a mum.

Sofia Rubio Robles left Birmingham Royal Ballet earlier this season. Sofia has returned to Gran Canaria.

• Like 7

I am very pleased to hear about Mathias Dingman and pleased to hear about Celine. Surely now there are two female principals down her turn MUST come next year. I share in Janet's congratulations to everyone concerned.

I will have very happy memories of both Natasha Oughtred and Laetitia Lo Sardo. I wish all those leaving the company every success in this next phase of their lives.

• Like 1

Yes to that two pigeons! I had to ask who he was when they were at Sadlers in the Autumn! Brandon Lawrence looks to be very promising!!

Also am pleased for Leticia Dias domingues as have been following her since her prix de Lausanne win and saw her again recently at the RBS graduates demonstration at the RBS ...and of course for Miko.

• Like 2

Looked back over my notes from the season, and surprised myself by how often I have mentioned enjoying Yvette Knight's performances, so I should say I'm very happy to see her promoted as well!

I'd also be interested to hear about other's opinions of Miki Mizutani. I missed her in Prince of the Pagodas and Sylvia. Her technique appears brilliant but I'm not convinced by her acting abilities. I guess this is something a lot of dancers 'grow in to' as they become more experienced. 

Some more thoughts about promotions and highlights of the season on my blog here