Summer School for non voc students?

mollyjacob

Hi all, I was considering applying for YBSS for my DD who is 12. She has been an RBS/Elmhurst associate but is not at vocational school and although she loves classical ballet/continues to work hard at it and we understand she needs it for her other dance, it's probably not going to be her 'thing'.  Having read some other other threads I'm wondering 1) if she's unlikely even to get in when this SS seems heavily populated by Voc students and 2) even if she did get in, would it be the right school for her?  Is it aimed at serious classical ballet vocational students (if you know what I mean!)  Thanks for any thoughts :-)

Dear MollyJacob

May I suggest York Dance Assembly a residential summer school in York which offers ballet, contemporary, jazz and this year also musical theatre and street dance. This summer school is attended by non-vocational students as well as vocational students and also offers swimming and a theatre night for relaxation. The venue is a beautiful private school, Queen Margarets in Escrick with extensive grounds where the children can use under adult supervision. The teaching faculty include ex-professional dancers and is run by Yorkshire Ballet scholarship centre based in York which is a registered charity. If you would like further information you can message me and I can send you a leaflet or you can look on the website www.yorkshireballetscholarshipcentre.com 

• Like 1

Hi mollyjacob and welcome to the forum :) I'm not most qualified to answer this (I'm sure people will be along who are) but will throw in my two-pence-worth. I know two girls now in my class and aged 17/18 who went to YBSS once or twice when they were teenagers. They enjoyed it but found it really hard work and felt behind the other students. They really enjoyed the challenge though and weren't completely left behind or anything. These girls have been very well trained but never at vocational school and although they're fairly good (just passed Adv 1 with high merits) don't aspire to be dancers. Obviously that's just one family's experience, and I don't think they were ever associates either and it was a few years ago now.

I can highly recommend YBA (or YDA as I think it is this year) though! The ballet teaching is absolutely top quality (I would say as good as any of the other big summer schools), as well as the contemporary and jazz. But it's not only that: the atmosphere is really welcoming, and fun as well as hard work is part of the deal! Also, the faculty really care about the students they are teaching and how best to support them and help them learn, and I see no distinction between the way vocational and non-vocational students are treated. Do PM if you have any more questions (or ask worktolive of course!) :)

Hi, thanks to both of you for replies, very helpful.  And I know nobody has a definitive answer I am just looking for people's personal experience.  I will def look into the YDA, it sounds like it might be more suited to my DD.  She has done other summer schools in past and throughly enjoyed them, so def want to do one...just want to make sure it's the best one for her.   I may PM one or both of you later after I've done a bit more research! 

• Like 2

Hi Petalviolet. I'm an oldie really so have technically been at YDA as house parent rather than dancer though some dancing might have happened too! It means that I got a good overview of what happened in the different groups at different levels and with the different teachers though.

I didn't go through the associate schemes etc myself when younger (now mid-twenties) as I didn't start dancing until my teens (and wouldn't have been anywhere near good enough! though I make it up with enthusiasm :D), but have been round a number of different teachers over the years and looking into teaching myself now, so I am very nosy about all those sorts of things! I was just really impressed by the ways the teachers found to really get children to feel in their bodies what they were explaining rather than just using words. Things that I still use to remind myself of technique-wise when I am in class now!

Thank you for your insight - it does surprise me how much you can really gain from just one masterclass or a week summer school. Although my DD has only done local summer schools and nothing in the league of pre vocational ones yet I was so impressed to see how much of an effect a guest teacher or a more free (non syllabus) class can have, even at her age. A different pair of eyes, a new perspective, a tweak here or just a different type of explanation and all of a sudden they "get it"!! I think it must be so important to encourage children to become familiar with how it feels to move correctly and not just how it looks in the mirror so they can remember it when they are performing- it will make them more independent I guess.

• Like 2

My friends DD from Oz did this in 2013 when she was 13. In Sydney at that time two years ago she was not a vocational student but coped well. At that time she had just passed her RAD Intermediate exam.

They are divided into groups anyway and initially she was put in the younger age group but then changed to the older group.

The older group level was certainly hard work and there were quite a few RBS and Elmhurst students there but some were like my friends DD just keen on ballet but attending normal schools and fitting their ballet in after school etc. The standard is high but if in the right set for ability she should be fine.

I think if your daughter was with the younger age group set she would be able to cope in my opinion......though of course I don't know your daughter!!

In the show at the end the younger group performed more of a national dance type dance but on the last day you could watch your child in class as well as the afternoon performance. Or it could be arranged if you had a problem to watch class on another day.

Everyone seemed very helpful and friendly.

My friends DD is now 15 and is wanting to do this course again this summer when she comes over from Oz for 2yearly visit so inspite of NOT being a vocational student and being one of the younger ones in the older group she loved it and wants another go!! This time she wants to board there as last time she went in daily while we stayed on a farm and whose delightful dogs she fell in love with!!

Do keep us informed what your DD chooses in the end.

• Like 1

Hi LinMM and thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.  My DD is taking InterFoundation very soon and does quite a lot of ballet and my gut feel is (if she was given a place) she would manage, especially if she was in a younger set like you say.  But I am just wondering if she'd feel a little lost in big classes and perhaps a more intimate setting would be better for her?  She has done RBSS and other residentials and always has an amazing time so hopefully she'll be fine wherever we decide.  Thanks again :-))

• Like 1

Ive heard of a summer school called OPES which may be less crowded...I need to check where it is but not as far north as York.

This could be suitable for your DD

This same friends daughter is doing Natalia Kremen's summer school as well this summer. This is in and around the London area....in fact I can't make out from the website EXACTLY where it is taking place!

• Like 1