Carlos Acosta: The Classical Farewell, London, October 2016

Surprised no-one has started a thread on this, being last night was the opening night. However, I went to it and thought the whole evening was lovely.

Program.

Winter Dreams - Farewell Pas de Deux - MacMillan - Marianela  Nunez and Carlos

Dying Swan - Fokine -  Sarah Lamb

Rhapsody - Pas de Deux - Ashton - Yuhui Choe and Valentino Zucchetti

Scheherazade - Pas de Deux - Fokine - Gabriela Lugo and Luis Valle

Manon - Bedroom Pas de Deux from Act 1 - Macmillan - Laura Morera and Ryoichi Harano

Don Quixote Pas de Deux - Petipa/Acosta - Marianela Nunez and Carlos

Part Two

Mayerling - Final Pas de Deux from Act 3 - MacMillan - Laura Morera,Carlos and Valentino Zucchetti

Gloria Domine Deus - MacMillan - Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Harano

Requiem  Offertoire and Pie Jesu - MacMillan - Yuhui Choe and Carlos

Rubies Pas de Deux - Balanchine - Sarah Lamb and Valentino Zucchetti

Apollo Pas de Deux - Balanchine - Marianela and Carlos

Anadromous - Reinoso - Gabriela Lugo and Luis Valle

Memoria - Altunaga - Carlos

Good mix of styles and types of ballet including some contemporary, the final two particularly. The highlight for me was the Don Quixote - both Nela and Carlos having so much fun with it. It included some gravitas as well, particularly Winter Dreams, Manon and Mayerling beautifully danced as were all the pieces.

Carlos was in complete pieces at the final "curtain" ( except there wasn't one), plainly overwhelmed and the whole of the Albert Hall on its feet cheering to the rafters. Great send off. Great night.

• Like 1

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the limited photo call -  Carlos Acosta and Marianela Núñez in Don Quixote pdd. Here are some photos:

29813383940_98771249ff_z.jpg
Carlos Acosta
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

29480562803_7aa1f0e9e7_z.jpg
Marianela Núñez

30024674561_3e6ac6c9c4_z.jpg
Carlos Acosta, Marianela Núñez

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: Carlos Acosta: The Classical Farewell
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little late posting on this as I went to Friday evening's final performance.  The photos above are lovely - what an amazing performance from Carlos and Marianela. A great mixed bill and a fabulous finish with Carlos dancing the contemporary piece Memoria - so fitting showing off his power and his agility.  

And what a poignant and powerful finish to the evening as Carlos sat in a corner of the stage in the semi-darkness, getting slowly changed back into his warm-ups to then stand and wave farewell to the audience as he left the stage. The crowd erupted and gave him a well-deserved standing ovation and I saw many members of the audience were moved to tears as, indeed, I was!

His speech to the crowd illustrated what a humble man he is, crediting his success to his audience and thanking us for giving him so much.  A truly amazing person - so pleased I was there for his last classical dance and wishing him all the success with his company and school in Cuba. 

• Like 9