Opes summer school 2016

Primaballerina1

My daughter will be attending this intensive this summer. If anyone has been, could you please tell me what lodging is like and the location? I am coming from United States in my family and I would like to stay in London and have a holiday while she is there is this possible or is it too far?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a long way from London! However it is on the East Coast Rail Line from London Kings Cross to Retford.  The journey takes about an hour an d a half plus a taxi from the station to the school.

Last year we went camping en route not too far from Sherwood Forest wghich is about half an hour's drive away from the summer school.

You might want to consider a holiday in York.  Its a fabulous English cathedral city, very touristy & olde worlde but a lovely place and about 40 mins by train away from Retford.

The accommodation is at what we call a prep boarding school (a residential school for boys aged 7-13)  in 4-5 bedroom dorms.  The grounds of the school are absolutely beautiful and dd said the food was really good.

• Like 1

Thank you, this is helpful :).  Maybe we could spend the week in York and then on to London when she is completed.  Is there lodging for us in Retford?  And things to do, or really York is best?  I hadn't considered York, and I really thank you for the information, I think that could be very fun!  I know it may sound silly, but as to lodging for the dancers, 4-5 girls of same age, how is safety there?

There are various hotels etc around the Retford area & quite a few things to do in the area. It's close to Sherwood Forest (Robin Hood), country parks, Lincoln (another cathedral city). It's just I love York & it's a great place to visit hence why I suggested it.

As for safety well it's a boarding school, totally self contained in its own grounds. There are houseparents on site 24/7 & the children don't leave the site at all.

• Like 2

Thank you :) I figured but you know how a mother's heart worries.  We are coming from so far and will be all out of our element and all of that, but we are looking forward to the trip and she is looking forward to the ballet :)

Opes is a wonderful Summer School it will be my DD's 3rd time and she is counting down the days!  My DD was in a room of 6 I think and found everyone to be very friendly.  I think the age in room was a mix of her own age and one year older and one year younger.  The older ones look after the younger ones - doing their buns etc. The much older ones were in smaller rooms but all were lovely to the younger ones helping them with their dance etc.  It always seems like one big family and the standard is quite high.  I think my DD termed it as they push you to be your best but not to breaking point.

I would agree York (Yorkshire) is a lovely city and lots to do.  If you have a car you could visit other beautiful places like Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay on the coast and Harrogate inland.  Leeds City is great for shopping as well.  Your daughter may prefer not to miss out having the London experience afterwards!

At Retford, you are not far from the city of Sheffield for shopping either and not far from the Peak District - a National Park with lots of old villages and towns as well as walks, cycle trails etc.  There are plenty of places to stay within the Peak District but you may need hire a car to really get the most of the area.   Its certainly a lot more 'old England' than a lot of the larger towns and cities - though I Have to agree with Pictures - that if you can get to York - even if just for the day - it is well worth a visit.  If you are based in York, then the historical towns of Harrogate is also not faraway.  I would recommend you do a good google search for some of the places mentioned by posters and see what sort of area interests your family most.

• Like 1

Knaresborough is much more historic than Harrogate (It's near neighbour) and, to my mind, much more interesting.  But if you go to either York or Harrogate then Betty's Tea Rooms is an absolute must!

I agree Leeds is great for shopping.

Buxton, in the Peak District, is absolutely gorgeous.

Will you be hiring a car or relying on public transport Arizona?

What weeks are all your DD's going on? I'm going week 2 and 3 again this year. It will be my third year to go and I couldn't recommend it any higher. It is honestly the best summer school I have ever been to