Adult classes over the summer - Surrey or Hampshire/London

munchkin16

I'm really missing ballet as there's a massive break over the summer. I was wondering if anyone knew of any drop in classes that were good for a 20 year old studying RAD intermediate but completely out of shape from not dancing for 2 months! Possibly even a private class?

I don't care if it's RAD style, preferably even not as I still prefer Cecchetti... Anyone know anywhere? I'm desperate! Preferably Surrey area, possibly Hampshire/ London too. Thanks :)

• Like 1

Loads in London: you could do class each day at DanceWorks just off Oxford Street near Selfridges (nearest Tube either Bond Street or Marble Arch). These are open drop in classes, not syllabus classes.

I really recommend Hannah Frost. Even her Beginners class has technical challenges, particularly if you're more advanced -- she will not let you off the hook, and gives excellent corrections. And she's very generous, funny, and a lovely teacher overall.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1

A few years ago I went to a summer school in Guildford, not run by a vocational school, I think it was a local school and most were students from that school. I think it was Anya Grinstead teaching, for Doreen Wells school, or something like that. It was a good long time ago though, so don't know if they're still around. It was quite different from what I had done before, but I was a very green ballet dancer at that point, and I definitely enjoyed it nonetheless.

There's also loads of classes at Pineapple in Covent Garden though it can be a bit crowded in there. So if you wanted to ramp up to more than one class... there are options of course... if you are like me you are looking to get the most you can out of each train ticket! :)

Also, there are some classes at the ENB in Kensington open to drop-in attendance. OK, I grant you that if you're studying RAD intermediate you blatantly aren't going to get much out of Beginners or Improvers and would probably want to start at Intermediate or above. Unfortunately their Intermediate classes are not open to drop-in attendance, but their BalletFit might be worth it for you (Mondays at 8am, Wednesdays at 7pm), and they have Advanced (Tuesday evening) and Advanced Pro (Monday) drop-in classes. I can't help you on the level unfortunately, beyond saying that  I'm somewhere between Improvers and Intermediate and just starting to look at Intermediate Foundation as a possibility.

There are a few summer events that might interest you: Chelsea Ballet summer school next week (3rd-8th August), dance summer schools at The Place (http://www.theplace.org.uk/summer) from 3rd to 21st August - you can pick and mix on a weekly basis from the courses available, and the London Amateur Ballet events (http://londonamateurballet.com/). Sadly this comes a week late for the RAD summer school, which happened last week (I was there - it was great!)

Watching this thread for any developments, as I'm just beginning to face the beginning of the end of three weeks of dance intensives. The thought is a sad one. It is clearly necessary to console myself by, umm, signing up for some more dance :D

that if you're studying RAD intermediate you blatantly aren't going to get much out of Beginners or Improvers

Actually, I'd beg to differ: if you're working hard and experienced enough to know what you need to be working on, a basic class can be as tough - or tougher - than an more advanced class. It won't have complicated choreography, but the pressure will be on to really work hard on the simple basic things in a clean and polished technical way. 

I think it's because there isn't complicated choreography - you aren't distracted by working fast & complexly, so you can REALLY focus on turnout, alignment, and precision.

• Like 3

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. The London ones look great, I have tried pineapple and dance works before but getting to London is so expensive for more than the occasional class. At the moment a beginners class would be great as I need to get back into shape anyway and work on my technique before challenging myself again with combinations.

If anyone has any more suggestions for adult classes out of London, both for the summer and term time I'd really appreciate it. Possibly a good class on a Monday or Tuesday morning/ evening as I work really weird hours and I'm looking to find a class again long term for September too. Thanks!

Actually, I'd beg to differ: if you're working hard and experienced enough to know what you need to be working on, a basic class can be as tough - or tougher - than an more advanced class. It won't have complicated choreography, but the pressure will be on to really work hard on the simple basic things in a clean and polished technical way. 

I think it's because there isn't complicated choreography - you aren't distracted by working fast & complexly, so you can REALLY focus on turnout, alignment, and precision.

Hehe :) OK, I will defer to your opinion, having no experience of what it feels like to be an advanced dancer in a less advanced class!

But really the Beginners at ENB is (I believe) entirely targeted for beginners. I guess 'blatantly' isn't the right word, but for info this isn't the sort of Beginners you're probably thinking of. One of the joys of the ENB classes is that it truly does not leave anybody behind. People come from miles and miles away to attend these classes for exactly this reason - these really do start from the beginning. It's not at all like a 'beginners' class at Pineapple which starts with a brief speech along the lines of 'now this thing here is called first position and this here is called turnout' then launches straight into rapid plié en demi-pointe routines and the like. The taster class experience of ENB Beginners, at least, is all about exploring movement and not immediately (directly) movement expressed through ballet as such, which makes it really great for genuine beginners since it leads the student through a process of discovery.

Improvers (aka 'Beginners plus' or 'false beginners') on the other hand is probably more what you're thinking of and personally I love it for that reason: it is serious ballet, there's no opportunity to 'cheat' at anything and faults show up like they're outlined in neon :P Alison is great, too. You'd just have to keep a straight face while the rest of us are (re)introduced to basic steps and fall over our feet trying to do them!... Anyway, hope the info is some use, apologies for daft assumptions :wacko::)

Edited by triphazard
  • Like 2

But really the Beginners at ENB is (I believe) entirely targeted for beginners. I guess 'blatantly' isn't the right word, but for info this isn't the sort of Beginners you're probably thinking of. One of the joys of the ENB classes is that it truly does not leave anybody behind.

Oh I see! THanks for explaining.  That sounds great. That is different to most open or drop in classes -- I don't live near enough to London to do ENB classes regularly -- I just do their workshop days.

• Like 1

Not sure what summer classes are running this year but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Vanessa Golborn School of Dance in Alton (NE Hants). That's where I grew up and the teaching really is amazing - a few to voc school each year but quite a relaxed atmosphere and very very friendly - I still visit when I'm down that way and everyone counts the teachers (and classmates) as friends. But somehow still very professional and great teaching!

They do some adult ballet, I'm not sure when, and adults are welcome to teenage syllabus classes too. If you're interested just drop them a call or an email :)

http://www.vgdance.co.uk/

In Surrey, Woking Dance Space are running some nonsyllabus ballet classes over the summer. Have a look at their website. Also First Dance Studios in Woking.

Hello K123 and welcome out of the lurking shadows!  Thankyou for your recommendations.  I do hope you will continue to join in now that you have broken the posting ice.

K123, thanks for that link. I'm sometimes working near Woking, so I had a look -- the school looks lovely, but how on earth do you manage with only 45 minute classes? My current local studio has 60 minute classes, and a more advanced class sometimes of the proper 90 minutes, which would sometimes turn into 2 hours -- which was wonderful. My local teacher is excellent & manages to teach a pretty full class in 60 minutes, but only by sacrificing grande allegro, and sissones. And offering either pirouettes with tendus in the centre or travelling pirouettes across the floor. But we rarely do both.

So I'm a bit Hmmmm at just a 45 minute class. How does that work?