UCAS points/NQF level

amum/Cathy

Ds is taking his Adv 1 IDTA in a few weeks and I want to ask the school to release him from PE for a few extra private classes. Please can anyone tell me how can I explain the level of the exam to the school (very academic)? It's beyond the UCAS points, as far as I can tell.

Is it equivalent to a musical instrument Diploma exam? They would understand that as one or 2 reach that level most years.

Also how would it go on the UCAS form if it doesn't attract points? Does he put his Intermediate one under UCAS points and then the Adv 1 under other qualifications under his GCSEs abd music exams etc? We are spending the summer puzzling this all out, but the letter to school needs to be written tonight, so any suggestions/help very welcome.....

Thanks

Yes RAD also 33 credits. I think all the main ballet organisations were given the same recognition. The link to it is on another RAD page as it's not UCAS - higher than UCAS. It's the equivalent of first year undergraduate according to the chart drdance linked to.

• Like 2

Re UCAS applications ...

I suppose it depends on what & where your son is applying for post-school. I interview for a performing arts/standard humanities degree, and I'm afraid I don't tend to take account of speech exams, or ballet qualifications, except to maybe ask in interview how they connected with the applicant's academic work. But I teach at a very research-intensive competitive place, rather than a conservatoire/stage school sort of place. We don't count the points accruing to these extra-curricular qualifications, although they do contribute to demonstrating the applicant's interest in the performing arts outside of their schoolwork, which is one of the things we're looking for.

But I know there are places where such extra qualifications are required. So it all depends ...!

• Like 1

Kate_N it's very interesting to hear your perspective. Thank you. I suspected that would be the case, although ds likes the thought of all these extra various points!

Ds is looking into Liberal Arts degrees where he could do History and Drama/Theatre/Performance Studies and is looking at the competitive places. Maybe yours is one of them.

Putting together the appropriate Personal Satement is going to be a challenge. Some courses interview, some say they don't but their drama degrees do we notice, so we still anticipate an interview +/- an audition style workshop if he is highlighting a desire to major/minor in drama. We suspect the dance qualifications won't help him at all, but performance experience will, hopefully. Also he has just been asked to choreograph the school musical (West Side Story), so that experience will be a handy one to talk about. (Oh and he's in something at the Edinburgh Fringe this summer)

Anyone else with a dc trying to find courses that combine the academic and performing arts?

Edited by amum/Cathy

Thank you amum/Cathy, that is great to know. DD will be tickled to know that the Advanced 1 RAD exam will be considered equivalent to undergraduate work - and it should be!

Kate_N, that is also very useful information and confirms what we suspected in relation to many universities and undergraduate degree courses. Although DD wouldn't want to rely on ballet and music qualifications for UCAS/QCF points as she knows that the universities and courses she is considering are unlikely to take account of these, it is nevertheless lovely that vocational ballet exams and high grade music exams have at last been recognised as very high level qualifications. 

• Like 1