curved back

michelle52

Hi guys ive re posted this here as had put it in totally wrong area by mistake :/

Just after people thoughts. My nearly 7 year old still stands with a curved back and sticky out tummy, especially if trying to stand straight (when walking not so bad) She is petit for her age, always has been, and wonder whether its because shes not quite developed the stronger/leaner bodys like her friends, and she is a bendy girl! Her teacher seems to think she'll straighten as her muscles and spine develop and strengthen, and they will work on posture more in grade 1. Area Anyone had this with their child?? Thank you in advance

I had a very curved back when I started ballet lessons when I was 9. It was not corrected by my first dancing teacher but was when I went to the Northern Ballet School when I was 12. It took about a year to correct as I had been taught nothing about correct posture at my first dancing school.I would say ,because she is so young still,that yes, it should straighten,provided she is receiving correct instruction from her teacher. But give it time.The correct stance of a dancer is not a normal stance for the body .

• Like 2

I would not worry at her age.  That is the comfortable way to stand for lots of children, especially the ones with more flexibility.  My son used to do this to a degree.  At one time he did ballet and gym.  Whilst the gym helped for flexibility and strength it did not help in posture.  In fact it makes a curved back worse, I think (will defer to those who know).  When he stopped doing gym, his posture got better. You could ask her dance teacher for simple pilates type gentle exercises which might help with core strength.

My DD is another one with this issue, I noticed it a few years ago and mentioned it to old teacher who hadn't noticed. It became an issue noted on festival adjudication and one or two exams, still no correction from teacher. Dd started a new school last December and within 6 months rarely does it now, new teacher has mentioned that's she has corrected the back arching and the swayback legs and she is about to tackle the chicken wings. (All said in the nicest way) :)

• Like 1