RB cinema screening DVD question

Hi, sorry this may sound like a bit of a stupid question but I was just wondering if every time the RB do a live cinema screening does that performance usually always get released?  I know the last few have but I was just weighing up my options on La Fille and whether I should just presume I will be able to buy it on dvd if I miss actually going on the night or to the pictures to see it.  Thanks!

Not every time, but it seems to be happening more often.  The performance featured on the current release Royal Ballet Fille (Acosta and Nunez) is from just over ten years ago, so I suppose it is possible they will release a more recent performance.  I am just not sure whether it will sell enough copies to be worth it for them.  I doubt that dvd and blu ray sales of ballet are huge and I have heard from the company that the costs of taking these to dvd/blu ray are larger than one might imagine given it is all in house and the ROH has a stake in Opus Arte.  My guess is that Fille is just not mainstream enough to justify the expense of a new release, although the Osipova star power might justify it.

Edited by barton22

Hi, Serenade, and welcome from me too! I don't know how many DVDs of Fille they'll find it necessary to do - perhaps as barton says there may not be sufficient demand - but in recent years it seems that the recordings of the cinema performances have tended to end up on Sky Arts, if that helps.

Check if the cinema is doing an encore the ones near me are doing encores the following Sunday.

May I recommend that if you attend an encore that you stay away from the Islington Vue Cinema.  The state of the relay was as if mirrored via the 'Untouchable' black scrim for the recent RB SL Encore presentation on 22.3.15 at 2.00 pm.  Truly shocking.  An exercise in frustration.  A waste of valuable time.  It was so bad that the management was forced to give each patron a full refund.  Be warned.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Check if the cinema is doing an encore the ones near me are doing encores the following Sunday.

Given that it's a pretty child-friendly ballet, you might need to consider advance booking for that. The encore of Swan Lake I went to see was only about half full, but it might not be the same for Fille.