Hours of dance

Lilac

My DD who is currently Year 11 is aiming to apply to do a mixed dance course at 18. I am a little concerned that at her small dance school she will be be doing less hours of dance than others her age. Want to make sure that when we plan associate for next year that we build this up sufficiently. Locally she will be doing one hour ballet, 45 minutes Tap, 75 minutes Modern and 45 minutes jazz. She wil be doing 4.5 hours of mixed dance associates at London Studio Centre. I am especially concerned about just one hour of ballet in a mixed Aadvanced 1/2 class. She has been attending the CBA at Tring this year, but is thinking of withdrawing from this so she can still do festivals etc which are a big thing at the dance school.

The ballet classes are the foundation for everything else. Your DD is doing very well if she's only doing one hour of ballet a week and achieved places at the CBA at Tring and London Studio Centre. I think she should definitely keep up the CBA and drop the festivals if that's possible. Unless she's not enjoying the CBA, which is another matter...

• Like 2

What sort of courses is she likely to be looking at? Depending on what her aspirations are, she might need to focus more on one style or another, but ballet is the main foundation really. 

It might be worth talking to the associate teacher at London Studio Centre or CBA and asking their advice on whether she needs to up her hours, and what type of dance would be most beneficial.

She was thinking of dropping groups after this year as they largely focus on song and dance which isn't her thing, so she's usually on the back row. No chance of groups in most of the genres she prefers sadly. No contemporary locally or at Tring, which is one reason she's going for LSC. They also do jazz which she loves. She has done several associates and watching her yesterday tend to feel she has been happiest at Tring out of any of them.