Looking for advice.... (study options)

live4ballet

Hi, I've been learning lots from this forum, but this is my first post and I'm looking for advice. I'm wondering what my options are for further study. I am not in a position to consider vocational school (financial and don't want to go away from home before 16), and I have no idea if that would even be possible.

I'm 13 and have only been doing ballet since I was 9. I'm studying inter-foundation and grade 6 (RAD) and have been in York Scholars since September, which I am really enjoying. Last year I auditioned at Northern Ballet for the intermediate associates, and got through to the second audition but then was not successful. This year I have auditioned again, and also for CAT, even though they mentioned I was a couple of years older than those who would be starting the first year. Whilst I have been recalled for the second audition for the associate programme, I have been unsuccessful in getting to the next round of auditions for CAT. I'm wondering what other options, if any, I have. I am worried that continuing with my home school and associate scheme alone will not be enough to get into a vocational school post 16. I have done several summer and easter courses in Leeds and York, and plan to take more of these if mum and dad are willing to pay!

Any advice would be thoroughly appreciated! :D

Hello Live4ballet and welcome to the Forum!  Given you age, will you please make sure that your parents are happy with you being a member of the Forum?

I can't give you any advice but I am sure many of our other members can offer support.

Good luck with your quest!

• Like 1

Hi live4ballet

It sounds as though you are doing all the right things and you have progressed very quickly. Associates are great experience as are summer schools.

Have you checked with your dance teacher what she thinks and whether she has any more classes you could do?

Maybe you could consider applying to summer schools at places you would like to audition for at 16?

Good luck

• Like 2

Hi sarahw, thank you for the advice. I will definitely look at schools to apply for post 16 and see if I'm interested in the summer schools I do believe it's a great way to get to know the teachers and methods. Also, I will have a chat with my dance teacher and see what she recommends.

Thanks again :)

• Like 1