Feeling Proud

AccentuateThePositive

Ok this is a shameless proud mum post :)

DD has had a bit of a rollercoaster year with a foot injury at the beginning of the year to contend with and, as is often the way, a long, slow steady recovery with a few niggly hiccups - she has been supported wonderfully by the Dance Clinic team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital to whom we're very thankful and she continues to see the lovely Physiotherapists there. This is an NHS Clinic for dancers which your GP can refer you to; our experience has been really positive. There are also clinics in Birmingham and Bath. You can find out more on the NIDMS website http://www.nidms.co.uk/injury-referral/

I am feeling very proud of her hard work and determination to keep dancing and really looking forward to seeing her dance in The Happy Prince this month with Chantry Dance Company, who have believed in her, and invited her to be a part of their Autumn Tour. She'll get a mini taste of true touring whizzing up to Halifax Square Chapel Arts Centre on Thursday 20th November and then back down to the Lilian Baylis Studio at Sadler's Wells to perform on Friday 21 November!

I can't help but speak as a biased Mum of course, but The Happy Prince really is a beautiful ballet. It's a triple bill - The Happy Prince, Rhapsody in Blue and the Bob Dylan ballet - do go and watch if you can :)

http://www.chantrydancecompany.org/whats-on.html

• Like 19

Aw congratulations to your daughter, good things come to those who wait as the saying goes. My daughter is injured at the moment and it is so stressful for them, especially when they can't dance. I hope your daughter remains injury free. I will get my daughter to look at this dance clinic you mention if her injury doesn't improve with physio and rest, it's her flexer muscles and it just happened in everyday walking I think.

Thanks everyone for such lovely comments - I feel even more proud and good about the world now :)

You have every reason to be proud.  I went to see Chantry Dance recently with their Happy Prince tour and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The part your DD has in it is lovely (I'm assuming she is 'the girl' danced by the associates).  She will have a lovely time.

Thanks 2dancersmum, I am glad you have been able to see the company perform - I am really looking forward to seeing it in full with costume and lights on stage. The feedback for the first four shows in the tour has been fantastic; hopefully the last two will get the same response :) You're right, she is playing the part of 'the girl' and Chantry Dance Company selected three of their Associates to dance this role and the tour has been divided equally between them. All three girls have worked incredibly hard alongside the professional dancers and been very supportive of one another.

Aw congratulations to your daughter, good things come to those who wait as the saying goes. My daughter is injured at the moment and it is so stressful for them, especially when they can't dance. I hope your daughter remains injury free. I will get my daughter to look at this dance clinic you mention if her injury doesn't improve with physio and rest, it's her flexer muscles and it just happened in everyday walking I think.

Sometimes it's hard to wait isn't it Tulip? DD initially found it very hard to accept that full rest for 6 weeks is what was needed - not just doing a little bit less for a short time - and then rushing back! The care and advice she received from the Dance Clinic has really helped with her recovery. Your GP needs to refer your DD so would certainly go and see your GP to get the ball rolling if things don't improve soon.

That's a lovely story to hear! I'm so pleased that NIDMS is helping some of the DCs of forum members!

Thanks drdance. We went to see our GP to start with (following an A&E visit which showed nothing on x-ray, a later MRI showed a bone stress injury) who wasn't really sure what to do with her as she felt the physios at the hospital might not be the best route, but didn't have an alternative. I went googling and came across NIDMS - what a find! The GP was only too happy to support the referral thankfully. We weren't sure DD was eligible for the Dance Clinic so rang NIDMS in the first instance and Helen Laws couldn't have been more helpful! DD is on a CAT scheme and aspires to be a dancer :)

• Like 2