Northern Ballet - Elves and the Shoemaker - A ballet for children - Leeds October 2014

Elves and the Shoemaker is the third ballet in the series of Northern Ballet's "Short Ballets for Small People" initiative.  This one has been choreographed by Ballet Master Daniel de Andrade and has a score commissioned from Philip Feeney which is full of charm and really enhances the production.  The set, designed by Ali Allen, is the most elaborate of the three and is absolutely charming.  The Shoemaker's workroom can be easily changed into the woods and the market place.

The programme costs 50p and is well worth it as it contains the synopsis, some lovely photographs and some games.  The piece lasts about 40 minutes.

What I like about going to one of these ballets is seeing how quickly entranced the children become and there were some very young children in the audience on Tuesday afternoon.  There is a very clear announcement before the start about how the Elves will be scared by talking and mobile phones and it really helps set the tone.  We see the Shoemaker and his wife worried about hard times but not too hard up to help a very poor lady to whom they give their last food and pair of boots before they go to bed.

The Elves appear and come into the workroom.  We know the Elves are coming because coloured lights flash around the window.  I could sense the excitement of the children all around me, especially when the Elves appeared.  It was a very simple but effective device to have the flashing lights because every time they flashed you could just tell how excited the children were that the Elves were coming back.

The story is simply told and quite easy to follow.  The choreography for the Elves is bouncy and mischievous and there is a lovely duet for the Prince and Princess.

I noticed that I was not the only child-free adult in the audience - I saw at least 4 or 5 other adults who came in on their own!  Obviously the audience was predominately young children, whom I have to say were very well behaved.  I think these ballets are a wonderful way to introduce children to live theatre, ballet and, indeed, theatre audience etiquette.  It was a delightful afternoon!

Elves and the Shoemaker is touring extensively in the Spring and I would recommend anyone with young children to give it a whirl.  The tour dates can be found here.

• Like 2

I hope to get to see this and will be quite happy to go child free!

Wouldnt it be wonderful if Northern put Ugly Duckling, Three Little Pigs and Elves and the Shoemaker all on one dvd!

Id be tempted to make it a compulsory purchase for my young pupils.....