Auditioning for year 11

balletla

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on year 11 entry to vocational schools? We have always ruled it out because of GCSEs but I am hearing more and more about students joining RBS and Elmhurst in particular, in year 11. Given that you would only have just over a term before 6th form auditions, would it really make that much difference?

Personally I would find this too disruptive in the middle of a GCSE course - different exam boards/syllabus etc and on top of that new friends and environment if they've never lived away from home at all. I shall be encouraging my dd to concentrate on GCSEs with the view to apply at 6th form - especially as there is no certainty that year 11 pupils will be accepted into upper school.

• Like 2

I'm not sure where you got your information from regarding entry into RBS at Year 11, as in my experience in the past 8 years I only know of 1 boy who joined in Year 11 and no girls. The main new intake after Year 7 entry is into Year 10.

I don't know how you would balance GCSE subjects as they are limited at vocational schools compared to non vocational schools. Not sure about intake into Elmhurst in Year 11 though.

Not sure if this has helped :)

We were at Elmhurst finals this year - 7 auditioning for year 10 intake and none for year 11. Though I know there were some candidates at the first audition. Perhaps give Elmhurst a call,they are always happy to help (in my experience :) )

I'd be surprised if many people applied for year 11 places unless they were very unhappy with their current school. I would think it far too disruptive to GCSE studies. Better to wait for 6th form entry - unless of course you were literally just auditioning for the experience with no intention of taking a place.

It is not so much being assessed out at this stage but they audition and find out if they have a place for the 6th form. this may involve finding out that they don't have a 6th form place at the school that they are currently at so in some ways it amounts to the same thing!

I'm not sure where you got your information from regarding entry into RBS at Year 11, as in my experience in the past 8 years I only know of 1 boy who joined in Year 11 and no girls. The main new intake after Year 7 entry is into Year 10.

I don't know how you would balance GCSE subjects as they are limited at vocational schools compared to non vocational schools. Not sure about intake into Elmhurst in Year 11 though.

Not sure if this has helped :)

I have heard that there are 2 girls joining RBS in year 11 this September and I know of a girl who joined Elmhurst in year 11 last year.

Hi Ribbons

You are correct that 2 girls are joining RBS Year 11 in September however they should have been going into Year 10 but have been moved up one year. Both these girls are foreign students and therefore have not been educated in the UK.

Hope this clarifies things.

LTD

Sorry meant to add that my original post was regarding British students entering RBS at Year 11 and not international students.

I don't suppose the school can enter them for GCSEs at this stage then and whatever their academic route is where they come from will be scuppered by coming to RBS. So I guess they must be sure that they are definites for an RBS 6th form place then?

Personally I would say get your GCSE's out of the way first if your DD is vaguely academic. The exam boards will be different and so she may be a serious disadvantage. She may need her GCSE's in the future, especially Maths and English (I expect she will have already done some coursework in year 10 for English Language - not transferable between boards). As you said, it would only be after a term of voactional school (should she get in) that she would audition for 6th form,plus remember vocational schools get longer hols!!!

I have heard of others experiences of moving into year 11 at vocational school, and it doesn't gaurantee a 6th form place at all. It would be terrible to 'throw away the academics' (a bit strong, but it is possible) on the hope the place continuing.

However if your DD is NOT at all academic maybe try? Makes her feel good about something when everyone is talking about all their A*'s!

Fx

• Like 2