Mariinsky Ballet: Cinderella, London 2014

Stucha posted this, which I have now moved to a new thread about Ashton's Cinderella but it is also pertinent to this thread:

"I don't think mentioned that Cinderella's much loved father is an alcoholic who at one point returns home with his mates from the pub for a drinking session only to be given short shrift by the wife and the girls.  Poor Cinderella has no support at all.

I like Ratmansky's version for his modern eye, interesting choreography, humour and musicality. He states that he followed Prokofiev's notations to the letter for the plot points of the story.

I love many things about the Ashton version.  Cinderella's solos in the first act particularly the broomstick solo; the variations of the seasons which perfectly render the music; the choreography for the stars which is just sublime; and that for the corps de ballet in the ballroom scene which shows his mastery at handling large forces; and finally the pas de deux for Cinderella and the Prince.  

The sticking point for me is that of the Ugly Sisters.  The double pantomime dame element does not work.  And don't get me wrong, I think Widow Simone works perfectly in Fille.  For me it is a question of plausibility. Widow Simone as characterised by Ashton is plausible as the guardian of Lise.  We believe her even though played by a man. It is an acting role with a (very good) clog dance thrown in.

The Ugly sisters on the other hand are for me simply not plausible as the step sisters of Cinderella.  They are far too old,  seeming even older than their father.  And with comedy we want to believe the characters in order to make sense of the story. Their choreography is basic and depends on comedy for its effect.  Nothing wrong with that but the action stops for the comedy set pieces and the ballet goes on before and after them and their comedy schtick. They simply unbalance the flow.

I realise that all this will probably be seen as heretical but for me Ashton's Cinderella despite its marvels, will always remain  flawed."

The new Ashton thread is here:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/7653-thoughts-on-ashtons-cinderella-and-other-works/