Important dates in ballet

Couple of famous people associated with Ballets Russes died on 8 April:

Vaslav Nijinsky died in London on 8 April 1950, aged 60 (or 61) - if anyone has definitive information about the year of his birth, please share!

Pablo Picasso  died in Mougins, France, on 8 October 1973, aged 91.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some birthdays for 18 April:

Gaetano (Gaétan) Vestris, dancing master to Louis XVI of France, was born in Florence on 18 April 1729
John Taras was born in New York City on 18 April 1919
Marcia Haydée was born in Niteroi, Brazil, on 18 April 1937
Vladimir Vasiliev was born in Moscow on 18 April 1940

And one British death anniversary:

Andrée Howard died in London on 18 April 1968, aged 57

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2

Marie Taglioni died in Marseilles on 24 April 1884, a day after her 80th birthday (some sources say 22 April but I'm going with Britannica unless anyone has something authoritative to support the 22 April date).

Mikhail Fokine was born in St Petersburg on 26 April 1880.

And a particularly British anniversary: Frederick Ashton's Façade premiered at the Cambridge Theatre, London, on 26 April 1931 as part of the Camargo Society programme.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

Oh gosh, now we've got the 27th to add to the other two dates? It's amazing how many of these dates seem to be uncertain given that ballet is fairly modern.

The World Book Encyclopedia and Groves Encyclopedia of Music both give 22nd April.

• Like 1

Couple of anniversaries between now and the end of the month.

Marie de Camargo died in Paris on 28 April 1770, aged 60.

Jean-Georges Noverre was born in Paris on 29 April 1727, celebrated as International Dance Day.

Tomorrow (29 April) is the first anniversary of the death of Gailene Stock.

George Balanchine died in New York City on 30 April 1983, aged 79.

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM with THE INTERNATIONAL DANCE DAY!

International Dance Day was introduced in 1982 by the International Dance Council and is celebrated yearly, on April 29 - the birthday anniversary of the French dancer and ballet master Jean-Georges Noverre:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Dance_Day

I was amused by the idea of the president of the International Dance Council to expand the scope of dance performances by the inclusion of culinary arts:

Let me go further in proposing to enrich choreography with the humanities (history, literature, philosophy and linguistics). Personally I would particularly enjoy storytelling, martial arts, and - I mean it very seriously - culinary arts.

Perhaps Liam Scarlett could give us a new Cinderella / Masterchef mashup or McGregor could revise Live Fire Exercise to include a real barbecue on stage. The possibilities are endless. As usual of course Pina Bausch got there first with handing out food from the stage to the audience.

Culinary arts in dance? How does he picture it to himself?

However, there have been already examples of some eating and especially drinking in ballets. Siegfrid, Rudolph and especially Lescaut drink. Firebird bites an apple. Osipova was liсking some cream from the bowl yesterday with a great relish. Sorry for off-top.

Some more British anniversaries over the next few days:

Phyllis Bedells, founding member of the RAD, died in Henley-on-Thames on 2 May 1985, aged 91.

Mona Inglesby was born in London on 3 May 1918.

Rudolf Benesh died in London on 3 May 1975, aged 59. I know he wasn't originally British but he developed his notation method here.

Frederic Franklin died in New York on 4 May 2013, aged 98.

The first performance by the Vic-Wells Ballet (the future Royal Ballet) took place on 5 May 1931.

Salut d'Amour, choreographed by Frederick Ashton for Margot Fonteyn's retirement gala, premiered in London on 23 May 1979, a few days after Fonteyn's 60th birthday.

And one of de Basil's baby ballerinas, Tatiana Riabouchinska, was born in Moscow on 23 May 1917.

Edited by Melody

Leo Delibes' "Coppélia," choreographed by Arthur Saint-Léon with Giuseppina Bozzacchi as Swanilda, premiered in Paris on 25 May 1870.

Giuseppina Bozzacchi was only 16 when she danced this role; the production was interrupted by the outbreak of war, and Bozzacchi died of smallpox that November during the Siege of Paris; she died on her 17th birthday. Such a sad story about a dancer who was associated with a happy role.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2

Two controversial ballets by Nijinsky premiered on 29 May:  L'Après-Midi d'un Faune in 1912 and The Rite of Spring in 1913.

Tamara Toumanova died in California on 29 May 1996, aged 77.

Homage to the Queen, choreographed by Frederick Ashton to music by Arnold, premiered at the Royal Opera House on Coronation Day, 2 June 1953. The evening's performance was timed so that after the first item on the programme (an extract from Swan Lake), the audience could listen to the broadcast of the Queen's coronation speech; Homage to the Queen followed immediately after the broadcast.

John Maynard Keynes was born in Cambridge on 5 June 1883. He was married to the Russian ballerina Lydia Lopokova and was an early supporter of The Royal Ballet and the Arts Council.

Also, it's Johan Kobborg's birthday today; he was born in Odense, Denmark, on 5 June 1972.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

It's also the anniversary of the birth of Dame Ninette de Valois (as Edris Stannus) in County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1898.

Which is where I started this thread a year ago! Seems like a good time to stop the regular updates because I'll just be repeating myself. But many thanks to everyone who's provided additions, corrections, and research. My master list is in much better shape as a result!

• Like 2