Important dates in ballet

Anna Pavlova's birthday today (she was born in St Petersburg on 12 February 1881).

Also, the premiere of A Month in the Country, Frederick Ashton's late masterpiece, took place on 12 February 1976. And (slightly earlier anniversary), Kenneth MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet premiered on 9 February 1965.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenneth MacMillan's Mayerling premiered on 14 February 1978. This strikes me as a bit of a perverse date since the ballet isn't exactly a celebration of true love. Maybe it was MacMillan's sense of humour at work or something.

Antonietta Dell'Era, originator of the role of Sugar Plum Fairy in the Nutcracker, was born in Milan on 16 February 1861

Sir Anthony Dowell was born in London on 16 February 1943

Edited by Melody

Bronislava Nijinska died in California on 21 February 1972

Dame Margot Fonteyn died in Panama on 21 February 1991, aged 71

This has reminded me of something too late, I went to the ROH in February 2006 and kept the ticket as I had seen a floral tribute in the foyer with a card saying on 21 February 1962 Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev first danced Giselle at the ROH, I was there on Saturday and forget to look!  How sad that this is the date she died.

• Like 1

On my list from 25 to 28 Feb, I also have the following

Capriol Suite, an early ballet by Sir Frederick Ashton, premiered in London on 25 February 1930

La Sonnambula, choreographed by Balanchine to music by Rieti, premiered in New York on 27 February 1946

Vakhtang Chabukiani, Georgian dancer and choreographer, was born in Tbilisi on 27 February 1910

• Like 3

Just in time... today, 28th February is the birthday of Jorge Donn (1947).  

Though some say (including English Wiki) he was born on the 25th, in Argentina, his birth country, today is the day of Dancers...after his birthday.

Ooops, I just saw MAB already mentioned it above... well I think it's worth repeating!

• Like 2

It's interesting how many different dates there are online for some of these events. I saw 26, 28, and 29 Feb as the birth date for Alla Shelest just on the first page of a Google search.

Lev Ivanov was born in Moscow on 2 March 1834

Tamara Toumanova was born in Siberia on 2 March 1919

Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, with choreography by Julius Reisinger, premiered at the Bolshoi Theatre on 4 March 1877

Lydia Sokolova was born in Wanstead on 4 March 1896

Kenneth MacMillan's Manon premiered at the Royal Opera House on 7 March 1974

Lynn Seymour was born (as Berta Lynn Springbett) in Wainwright, Canada, on 8 March 1939
Irek Mukhamedov was born in Kazan, Russia, on 8 March 1960

Dame Ninette de Valois died in London on 8 March 2001, aged 102

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

So it seems Lin, here are some more for the next three days:

March 13th

Lesley Collier

Christopher Gable

Igor Youskevitch

14th

Yelena Yevteyeva

15th

David Wall

Edited by MAB
  • Like 2

According to Britannica Irina Baronova's birthday is 13 March, although the Oxford Dictionary of Dance gives 28 February. I assume that's one of the old style/new style date discrepancies.

Edited by Melody

• 2 weeks later...