New G4-5 syllabi

kkmom

I have to say, the new syllabi look extremely challenging! I've downloaded grade 4 and 5 via the rad app and the choreography is really quite complicated. There seems so much detail to learn and remember and there are double pirouettes in grade 5! In parallel so that makes them a bit easier but still!

The syllabi will certainly create more 'thinking' dancers which is one of the intentions I believe. They will also raise the standard overall and create some lovely dancers.

I really do like the new work but it's at least a grade harder than previously! My daughter will be starting the new grade 4 after Easter - poor thing :P

Edited by Aurora

I found this video by Jon Still about the making of the new syllabus music really interesting. I had been wondering about why they had chosen to include the wide variety of styles/instruments etc, being by nature something of a lover of tradition (and I just like piano music). The video made me think again and see the merits, and also the huge amount of work over years that has gone into it! And coming from someone who is such an intelligent, thinking musician who really understands dance like nobody else I have met it added extra weight to know how thoroughly they have thought everything through and the journey they went on to create the music. I think as dancers we can often take the music, especially syllabus music, for granted so do take a minute to have a look!

http://pilot-rad.org.uk/news/the-rad-syllabus-a-musical-journey

Edited to add link - duh!

Edited by FullContretemps
  • Like 2

I haven't watched all that yet but fully intend to. I really love the orchestrated music! I know a piano is traditional but a cd of piano music isn't exactly :P

The new music adds so much more atmosphere and encourages a real sense of performance, plus it's educating the students and exposing them to much more variety :)

• Like 1

Yes I totally agree Aurora - just took a bit of getting used to haha. And I agree about canned piano music - I loved so much going on a whole week's course in the summer with live pianists. Not only live pianists but absolutely amazing ones (both involved in this project). And if you're going to use a recording it may as well use a variety of instruments and styles rather than just the traditional.

• Like 1