Ballet novels in Virago Modern Classics

What I found interesting was the reviewer's comment that the ballet students she spoke to told her that they didn't read ballet books and she wondered if it was because they danced themselves, so didn't feel the need. I personally don't think this can be true - my little niece dances and she loves reading any book connected with ballet. What I do think is that in this age of computers and i-phones etc reading has become less popular and many children simply don't read books. I myself adored Noel Streatfeild books and I still have almost the whole series of Ballet for Drina books and the series about "The Wells", but I come from a different era. I shall have to ask my own students as I find this rather intriguing.......!

My favourite of the Rumer Godden ballet novels is "A Candle for St Jude" which isn't one of those being reprinted, but they're all wonderful books. There's also the non-fiction "Tale of the Tales" about the making of the Peter Rabbit film which is an absolute gem.

• 1 month later...

Bump!

I bought Thursday's Child from Waterstone's where I found it in the 9-12 years section. I thought I would read it before passing it on to ds (15) or dd (12). It was an fascinating read, but totally unsuitable for the 9-12 age group. The protagonist is ostensibly the boy, whose story would be suitable for 9-12 years, but actually the account of his sister's experiences at their vocational school are more suitable for mid teen girls. She has all sorts of teen girl crises including a near miss with a Baryshnikov type character. I won't be passing it on to dd yet, and I wouldn't recommend it for younger boys either.

Just wondering whether to comment to Waterstones. Does anyone else have an opinion? I'm still happy to have added it to my collection. Would like to get Listen to the Nightingale next.

I love Rumer Godden's books and it's brilliant they're bringing them back into print. My favourite of her ballet novels, though, was always 'Pippa Passes'. This isn't suitable for children, it's quite dark, but incredibly evocative. I read it as a teenager and have been trying to find the same edition ever since!