Pointework - how much?

taxi4ballet

Pointe work starts out slowly - a few minutes after regular slipper class - 2-3 times per week.

It builds up to every day for  30 minutes after regular slipper class.

Then gradually a full pointe class 2-3 times per week to everday a full class on pointe plus partnering.

Some advocate that eventually pointe shoes are worn all the time.  This can be a problem, however, in slipper class because the timing is different.  An experienced dancer can handle it.  Pointe class does not take the place of regular daily class (usually the first class of the day) but is in addition to it.

Much of this is subjective, depending upon age and ability of the student. 

Assuming the 15 yr old started at 12 yrs of age and made good progress...

I would think by 15 the student at a vocational school would be doing a full pointe class at least three times per week if not more.

In addition there could be partnering.  There could also be time spent on pointe for any rehearsal for upcoming performances/recitals.

I do not know what Elmhurst expects or requires.  The above is a personal opinion - for what it is worth.  :)

• Like 1

My DD would have loved a schedule as desribed by Anjuli but the reality of going to a local ballet school was more along the following lines:

at inter-foundation level - 30 mins class once a week

at intermediate - 30 mins once or twice a week

at advanced - 30 minutes two or three times a week max 

Additonal pointework in school shows, workshops and summer schools.  She never did Elmhurst summer school but at others did not 45 minutes or more daily.

Hi, not sure if it answers your question, but i'm 15 (non-vocational) and at the moment i do 3x 1/2 hour pointe classes, 1 45 minute pointe class for show dances a week, and about 1/2 hour strengthening at home (wobble-board, theraband, rises etc) a day. hope that helps! :)

Edited to correct my abysmal spelling ;)

Edited by swanprincess
  • Like 1

Hi Taxi4ballet, as you know we don't live in the UK but I thought it could be interesting for you to know how much pointe work DD does since I often read about kids having been trained abroad getting places at 16+ in the UK and UK residents wondering why... I often wonder if pointe work could be one of the reasons...

DD2 is 13, she started pointe when she was 10. One starts at around 10 or 11 in France when ready. Some kids might start in the class and others will start later. DD1 is 10 and she started in January, she does it once a week for about 15 minutes at the end of the class.

Going back to DD2, she does 2 or 3 full classes (1H30 each) on pointe depending on the week, more often 3 than 2. 

To enter vocational school in France, one has to present a variation on pointe and do part of the audition class also on pointe from the age of 13-14. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Because of the area I'm currently living in, I don't actually have a current pointe class during the week. Before I moved to the UK, i was taking 2 1.5 hour long pointe classes a week, and I'm really worried about my technique slipping... I don't think I should be practicing pointe work on my own without instruction, but I need to do something. 

I think this has been discussed before and I said my dd was only doing about an hour a week before starting vocational 6th form .

Quality comes before quantity! I guess it also sometimes depends on where they are training and the availability of classes at the right level too.