Ukrainian Opera & Ballet Theatre Kyiv on Tour

The Ukrainian Opera and Ballet Theatre Kyiv are nearly at the end of their tour of various Operas, but I managed to see their production of Carmen on Wednesdy at The Paqvilion Theatre in Bournemouth.  There are still a couple of performances this week, on Tuesday at Hexagon Theatre Reading and on Wednesday at The Anvil in Basingstoke.  A friend had commented that she had never been to Opera, so we booked.  The overall production is a little pedestrian but we were blessed with a world class interpretation of the role of Carmen by Irina Sproglis.  Her voice was rich and melodiousan with such a slim young physique, you wondered where it came from!  At the end of the curtain calls with full company on stage, they unfurled the Ukrainian flag and sang the Ukrainian National Anthem.  The audience rose to their feet and at the end there was even more enthusiastic applause.  If you want an entertaining and worthy night out, do go to support them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Pas de QuatreI saw them in Bromley in January in their production of La Traviata. I thought their production was very engaging and the friend I was with really enjoyed it, too. They sang the Ukrainian anthem at the end with vigour and passion. I am a teacher and have two Ukrainian girls in my tutor group. During the anthem, I thought of my students and my heart just burst! I would definitely recommend seeing this wonderful company. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCL said:

I saw them in Bromley in January in their production of La Traviata.

How did I miss that, then?  Was it clashing with all those ENB Giselles?

7 hours ago, alison said:

How did I miss that, then?  Was it clashing with all those ENB Giselles?

I don’t think so - it was a bit later in January. (Checks calendar…) Wednesday 24 January. I get the Churchill’s ‘What’s On’ booklet through the post and it was mentioned in that.