The National Ballet of Canada at Sadler’s Wells

14 minutes ago, RMM1 said:

It was announced as part of the Sadlers Wells season announcement back in January:

If my post with a link to the Canadian Ballet website is considered unnecessary, it can be deleted.

9 minutes ago, Amelia said:

If my post with a link to the Canadian Ballet website is considered unnecessary, it can be deleted.

I think it's worthy of its own thread Amelia - it had passed me by and I had read and published the Sadler's Wells PR!  Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

What sort of pieces will they be performing? Classical and contemporary I guess?

The performance details are listed in the link provided by Amelia.  Works by Crystal Pite, James Kudelka and Emma Portner.

James Kudelka works in the classical idiom as far as I am aware.  Crystal Pite seems mostly to be contemporary and I've not seen anything by the other choreographer.  It sounds like an interesting programme.

• Like 2

Saw this headline and got all excited at a faint hope that they MAY be dancing Merry Widow. Of course they're not. Just something I don't want to see, or (as I don't really know what is is) something I'm not willing to spend a lot of money on transport and possibly accommodation on.

• Like 3

Crystal Pite and Emma Portner's choreography are both contemporary- Pite's style is more balletic contemporary whereas Portner's is contemporary with a bit of a street dance/hip hop vibe. 

James Kudelka's choreography is definitely classical ballet - very reminiscent of John Cranko with a little bit of John Neumeier. 

I'll admit I would have preferred all Kudelka if they were going for a Canadian focus. (I like Pite's work but Angels Atlas is less balletic and more contemporary than Flight Pattern and The Statement, my two faves of hers in the RB repertoire). 

• Like 1

(I have still booked though!) Really want to see Kudelka's ballet Passions as well as the whole company of course. Members who follow Ballet Black or British choreography may be aware that dancer and choreographer Mthuthuzeli November's brother Siphesihle  is a principal dancer at NBC. There are also longer clips of the Kudelka and Pite works available on YouTube. 

• Like 1

I see they performed Ratmansky’s R&J last time this company was at Sadlers Wells.  

I have to say I am sooooo disappointed by the programme they are bringing.  Similarly to NYCB it is mostly contemporary.  I realise Sadler’s has a bias for contemporary, but I wish to see more classical. 

I’ll probably give the Canadians a miss this time around.  Unless Siphe is performing.   I don’t suppose the casting will be announced in advance? 

Edited by FionaM

6 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Members who follow Ballet Black or British choreography may be aware that dancer and choreographer Mthuthuzeli November's brother Siphesihle  is a principal dancer at NBC.

Oh great, will he be performing? I would certainly like to see him.

Didn’t Ryoichi Hirano’s brother also dance with NBC? I just learned this from watching his Spotlight interview on ROH stream

• Like 1

15 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Oh great, will he be performing? I would certainly like to see him.

Didn’t Ryoichi Hirano’s brother also dance with NBC? I just learned this from watching his Spotlight interview on ROH stream

Ryoichi Hirano's brother Keiichi retired from NBC in 2015 so we won't see him dance on this tour, unfortunately. The company hasn't announced casting yet but Siphesihle November dances a great variety of roles so hopefully he will be coming to London and dancing in one or more of the three ballets. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

25a9e7faf9a4670511f3bd95cf3c93d29900ae89.png

The National Ballet of Canada present Frontiers: Choreographers of Canada                                             
Pite/ Kudelka/ Portner at Sadler’s Wells this Autumn

A group of men in a dance performanceDescription automatically generated

National Ballet of Canada - Angels Atlas by Crystal Pite © Karolina Kuras

The National Ballet of Canada presents the UK premiere of Frontiers: Choreographers of 

Canada at Sadler’s Wells on Wednesday 2 – Sunday 6 October 2024. This triple bill 

includes works by three leading choreographers hailing from Canada: Crystal Pite, Emma 

Portner and James Kudelka 

Acclaimed choreographer Crystal Pite presents her much anticipated work Angels’ Atlas, created especially for the company, which originally premiered in Toronto in 2020. The Dora Award-winning ballet unfolds against a morphing wall of light that carries the illusion of depth and a sense of the natural world. The dancing body becomes a sign of humanity’s limitations within a vast, unknowable world. The ballet is set to original music by Owen Belton and choral pieces by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and Morten Lauridsen 

Emma Portner’s islands is a sculptural duet for two women in which the dancers are joined, fusing their bodies together as one. The work is set to an eclectic compilation of music by contemporary artists as well as original music by Forest Swords, bringing together hip hop, dub, guitar loops and electronic sampling for a rhythmic, avant-garde sound.    

James Kudelka’s Passion is a love story set to the first movement of Ludwig van Beethoven’s Concerto for Piano in D, Op. 61a. Two couples each stylistically unique – one classical, the other contemporary – weave within the corps-de-ballet, evoking complex relationships of passion.  

Crystal Pite is a Sadler’s Wells Associate Artist

The National Ballet of Canada Frontiers: Choreographers of Canada Pite/ Kudelka/ Portner is part of Sadler's Wells year-round Ballet with attitude programme 

NOTES TO EDITORS

Listings Information

The National Ballet of Canada
Frontiers: Choreographers of Canada
Pite/ Kudelka/ Portner

Sadler’s Wells Theatre, EC1R 4TN                                           
Wednesday 2 – Sunday 6 October 2024

Tickets: £15 - £85 

Ticket Office: 020 7863 8000 or www.sadlerswells.com

About Sadler’s Wells     
Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance organisation. We strive to make and share dance that inspires us all. Our acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap.   

We commission, produce and present more dance than any other organisation in the world. Since 2005, we have helped to bring more than 200 new dance works to the stage, embracing both the popular and the unknown. Our acclaimed productions tour the world. Since 2005 we’ve produced 64 new full-length works and performed to audiences of more than two million, touring to 51 countries.   

Each year, over half a million people visit our three London theatres - Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Lilian Baylis Studio and Peacock Theatre. Millions more attend our touring productions nationally and internationally or explore our digital platforms, including Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage.  

Sadler’s Wells East  
In 2024 we’re opening a fourth London venue in Stratford’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Sadler’s Wells East will house a 550-seat mid-scale theatre, as well as facilities for the new Rose Choreographic School and the hip hop theatre training centre, Academy Breakin’ Convention.  

Sadler’s Wells East joins the rich cultural heritage of Stratford, opening in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park as part of the East Bank development alongside the BBC, UAL’s London College of Fashion, UCL and the V&A. Sadler’s Wells East will support artist development and training, and the creation of new work. It will build the infrastructure for dance and make it accessible to more people. Sadler’s Wells East will house a flexible theatre presenting a wide variety of dance performances. Community will be at the heart of Sadler’s Wells East with a large open foyer that can be used by everyone as a meeting or performance space. There will also be dance studios and world-class dance facilities for dancemakers to train, create and rehearse productions. 

Supporting artists 
Supporting artists is at the heart of our work. We have associate artists and companies, which nurture some of the most exciting talent working in dance today. We host the National Youth Dance Company, which draws together some of the brightest young dancers from across the country. Sadler’s Wells Breakin' Convention runs professional development programmes to champion and develop the world’s best hip hop artists, as well as producing, programming and touring groundbreaking hip hop performances.   

Learning and community links 
Around 30,000 people take part in our learning and engagement programmes every year. We support schools local to our theatres in Islington and Stratford, designing experiences for children and young people to watch, explore and critically engage with the arts. We also run Company of Elders, a resident performance company of dancers aged over 60 who rehearse with renowned artists to make new work for public performances locally, nationally and internationally.   

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation.   

www.sadlerswells.com   

Stay up to date with everything Sadler’s Wells on social media    
Facebook: @SadlersWells    
Twitter: @Sadlers_Wells    
Instagram: @sadlers_wells    
YouTube: Sadler’s Wells Theatre

A picture containing text, electronicsDescription automatically generated

8d8d9b80dfa2c1b2cdc6ad4442b0c089f260781d.png

• Like 1