Ballet upper schools which are best at helping their graduates find work

Swanwings

Hello, I hope this question is allowed just now; I'm looking for experiences of which upper schools give help to their graduates in finding work. Im very happy to receive replies by DM if it helps.  

My dd is looking at her options and one thing which concerns me is which of her choices will actually introduce her to suitable companies, directors etc. She's really only considering classical just now and focussing on schools such as ENBS, Elmhurst, RCS and Central.  Ive heard bits about each one, but I'd love to hear from those who have had experience and what sort of help they received. As I said, please DM if its easier to avoid naming schools etc. Thank you so much.

Have you looked at Kings International Ballet Academy? They actively help their graduates find work.

Also has she considered the new course at the Acosta Training Hub - although new for 24-25 the artistic team there are amazing. 

One question springs to my mind…. What actually constitutes graduate success these days? Is it job immediately after graduation? Is that joining a company or a cruise ship? Or is it going on to more training or university? Or a short term apprenticeship or obe if the ‘pay to dance with’ companies that seem to be springing up. Or being prepared for a ‘portfolio’ career that might be a mix of freelance dance (in between barista or similar most likely..)Or going into Escher training…

I would say for choice of training institutions it is perhaps better to focus on the here & now as what is most important is they train in an environment that offers excellent training in a safe & supportive atmosphere & with transparent communications. 
Remember too often graduate success may be portrayed as the success of the last training place when in many cases the foundation of that training has been at prior schools (we have all witnessed places of repute who bring in international competition winners already career ready for the third grad year of upper schools) or indeed the polish that helped gain a job was actually gained by outside additional coaching….

Good luck! 

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

One question springs to my mind…. What actually constitutes graduate success these days? Is it job immediately after graduation? Is that joining a company or a cruise ship? Or is it going on to more training or university? Or a short term apprenticeship or obe if the ‘pay to dance with’ companies that seem to be springing up. Or being prepared for a ‘portfolio’ career that might be a mix of freelance dance (in between barista or similar most likely..)Or going into Escher training…

I would say for choice of training institutions it is perhaps better to focus on the here & now as what is most important is they train in an environment that offers excellent training in a safe & supportive atmosphere & with transparent communications. 
Remember too often graduate success may be portrayed as the success of the last training place when in many cases the foundation of that training has been at prior schools (we have all witnessed places of repute who bring in international competition winners already career ready for the third grad year of upper schools) or indeed the polish that helped gain a job was actually gained by outside additional coaching….

Good luck! 

Thank you for your reply @Peanut68 I think a simple version of my answer to your question is success depends entirely on what the graduate wants to do, (my dd isn’t expecting to launch straight into major company life, she’s a realist) and as with any training programme in any education environment; success is making a living out of what you have trained to do. We are under no misapprehensions of what it is like in the dance world. I am ex ex dancer myself and have witnessed it all first hand. However, I am just trying to help dd find a school which will give her the type of training she wants and also, hopefully, give her some guidance on graduation. 

• Like 2

My DS trained at Tring Park from year 9 to graduation. 
He received superb training in all genres and gained a job in a ballet company upon graduation . Tring produce very versatile performers .

I believe most of his year group secured jobs in the industry . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tutugirl said:

My DS trained at Tring Park from year 9 to graduation. 
He received superb training in all genres and gained a job in a ballet company upon graduation . Tring produce very versatile performers .

I believe most of his year group secured jobs in the industry . 

I completely agree re the versatile performer. And the superb training!

Edited by Ruby Foo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Swanwings said:

Thanks @Tiaramum The Acosta programme looks amazing but it’s a bit contemporary for her just now. I’ll look at Kings, can you tell me where the graduates generally go? Which companies have employed them?

Hi there - so the Acosta programme is focussed on getting them in to classical ballet companies - its just that most of the images we have so far are contemporary! But its a classical course like all other upper schools and involves everything that's needed for maximum job opportunities which naturally includes plenty of contemporary for todays choreographers and directors alongside daily ballet, pointe, pdd and rep. Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2