Elmhurst lower school questions

Laura_ballet

Hi everyone,

My daughter is auditioning at Elmhurst today, and the possibility of her attending has me thinking about logistics. For parents with children already at Elmhurst, could you share insights on the weekend schedule, typical travel arrangements for those from the south, and the duration of holidays compared to local comprehensives? Additionally, I'm curious about the allowed evening departures during the school week. Is it only Saturdays after classes, or are there other options? Lastly, what percentage of children stay on weekends, excluding leave out? If they stay, what sort of activities do they do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hiya, My DD is at Elmhurst.

Every term an activities list is sent out.  Some are in house and paid for by house funds that you contribute too.  Others are offsite with an extra fee.  Example crazy golf, the wave etc.

If you are in yr7-9 and are onsite that weekend the activities are compulsory.  They do yr group trips to Aldi, and the park - with house parents

You should get a tour by the house parents at finals and you can ask them all sorts of questions

If you take them off site during the week, you need permission and they need to be back by 8pm.

Leave out is around every 3 weeks,  finish at 2.20.  We live in Kent and every leave out or half term my DD gets a train to Euston then a train home from st pancras.  She is obviously alot older! When they are younger they will try to put them with children going in the same direction. Xmas/Easter is 3 weeks and you need to collect all her stuff and bring it home.  Lovely 6hr round trip!

Yr7 don’t usually start Saturday RAD classes til after xmas.  Allowing them to settle in a bit.

Hope this helps! and Good Luck!

Edited by WhereToNow
mistake!
  • Like 1

Well I live 3 hours north of Elmhurst so my DD always stays at weekends. Plenty of things to keep them going at weekends.....Saturday always to the park and Aldi. This term they are going to the Wave water park, Dudley Zoo and Castle, doing an Alpaca visit etc. As they get in to Year 10 they are given more freedom.....so my DD can go to Costa and Selly Oaks in small groups. Year 11 can go into Birmingham centre in groups.

• Like 1

Following on from the original post, can anyone share what happens at WL in terms of weekends, leave-out and how long are holidays? Do they take all their stuff back at end of each term? Does WL also do an activity each weekend? 

On 25/01/2024 at 08:03, Thelittleswans said:

Thanks @Adagio123 with regards to RAD do they start with Intermediate Foundation? What happens if they have taken it already? 

Sorry i am only just seeing this. They start at the level they are at. So if they have already taken their Inter F, they will start at Intermediate otherwise everyone starts at Inter F. I had this confirmed by the registrar as my DD took her Inter F before starting at Elmhurst. 

On 25/01/2024 at 08:42, Thelittleswans said:

Following on from the original post, can anyone share what happens at WL in terms of weekends, leave-out and how long are holidays? Do they take all their stuff back at end of each term? Does WL also do an activity each weekend? 

Hi, at WL there are activities most weekends, visiting exhibitions, cinema, and shopping and kids seem to enjoy them 😄 Yes they take stuff home at the end of each term as change beds too! RAD classes started this term.

Edited by DancingDevon

• 3 weeks later...

Change of topic slightly. But for Elmhurst final audition, do they cut them after day 1 and only have a smaller group for day 2? There’s been no hint of this at all in the communication we have had, but there are rumours going round! I’m wondering if this is a case that it’s something they used to do but don’t anymore. Any thoughts from those who have been through recently? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Balleteveryday said:

Change of topic slightly. But for Elmhurst final audition, do they cut them after day 1 and only have a smaller group for day 2? There’s been no hint of this at all in the communication we have had, but there are rumours going round! I’m wondering if this is a case that it’s something they used to do but don’t anymore. Any thoughts from those who have been through recently? Thanks!

Up until last year i believe they did used to invite children back for day 2. However last year all finalists were invited to both days but we didnt find out the schedule for day 2 until the end of day 1. I believe this years finalists already have the schedule for both days. Good luck 

1 minute ago, Adagio123 said:

Up until last year i believe they did used to invite children back for day 2. However last year all finalists were invited to both days but we didnt find out the schedule for day 2 until the end of day 1. I believe this years finalists already have the schedule for both days. Good luck 

That’s great, thank you! Yes, we do have the schedule for both days which is partly why I thought it was a little odd that they hadn’t said ‘there is a chance you won’t be needed for day 2’ if that was the case! Well enjoy the opportunity for 2 days whatever the outcome x

3 minutes ago, Balleteveryday said:

That’s great, thank you! Yes, we do have the schedule for both days which is partly why I thought it was a little odd that they hadn’t said ‘there is a chance you won’t be needed for day 2’ if that was the case! Well enjoy the opportunity for 2 days whatever the outcome x

Having read old threads on here, i think parents thought it was harsh to cut them after day 1 and maybe complained. Which does happen in the professional world but when you are talking about 10/11 year olds, its a bit tough on them. My DD had a great final audition last year so enjoy it. They really look after you and it is a great experience whatever the outcome. 

• Like 1

I think the cutting part only happens at the older years.  When my DD auditioned for yr10, we had to wait til 5.15pm on day 1 to find out if she was through to day 2.  It would be really clear in their correspondence, if this was the case.

• Like 1

In the initial email for yr10 finals (where they just tell you dates, but no finer details) it said  ‘there will be a 1st round and if selected, a call back day’ 

I’m guessing it would be very obvious from the semi final results email they have sent out.  I would hazard a guess and say Upper school finalists are at both days - especially as there will be so many of them to look at.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WhereToNow said:

In the initial email for yr10 finals (where they just tell you dates, but no finer details) it said  ‘there will be a 1st round and if selected, a call back day’ 

I’m guessing it would be very obvious from the semi final results email they have sent out.  I would hazard a guess and say Upper school finalists are at both days - especially as there will be so many of them to look at.

thank you @WhereToNow