Chineke! Orchestra, Queen Elizabeth Hall (Southbank) Nov 24th

zxDaveM

I went along to see the Chineke! Orchestra's performance at the QE Hall, mainly to hear the premier of Joan Armatrading's 'Symphony No 1'.

The programme started with a rendition of Duke Ellihgton's reworking of The Nutcracker Suite (the overture). Starting with the opening bars of the Nutcracker overture we are all familiar with (made me look forward to the 6th Dec at ROH all the more!), it then changed when the 'jazz' instruments joined in. I'm not a huge fan of jazz, but this short piece was most enjoyable.

After the interval, we enjoyed Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony, splendidly and enthusiatically played, by the orchestra in full flow. Made me realise it is a good while since last I heard this masterpiece, so it is due a revival on my CD player very soon.

In between was the afore mentioned premiere, of Joan Armatrading's debut symphony. Better know as a singer/songwriter of folk/pop/rock/blues/jazz tunes, the multi-instrumentalist (she plays all the instruments on her records) continues her musical path into a classical symphony. I really enjoyed it too. Not hugely 'challenging' - ie not difficult to listen to - she used the orchestration to good effect, putting over her motifs elegantly, and with a triumphant bit of 'oomph' for the climaxes. The audience gave it a great reception, and then went bonkers with a standing ovation when the lady herself took the stage. As much an ovation for the piece, as for the woman herself - well, it WAS Joan Armatrading!!!

PS - spotted Wayne McGregor in the audience. On a night 'off'? Or scouting for the next musical collaboration? He may not have been in love - but open to persuasion?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2