Kevin O’Hare on Michael Berkeley’s Private Passions

I see Kevin O’Hare is Michael Berkeley’s guest on Private Passions this Sunday: 26 November 12:00 noon Radio 3 and then BBC Sounds. His selections include Tchaikovsky, Thomas Ades and Anna Clyne (no further details given in Radio Times).
I find Private Passions invariably of interest: I’ll look forward to hearing what Kevin O’Hare has to say and what Michael Berkeley manages to glean from him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

Well worth listening to on BBC Sounds. He talks entertainingly about his life, from being a lad in Hull, following his sister and brother to ballet class, the boost to his understanding and training in ballet by David Gayle's Yorkshire Ballet Seminars, through being taught by Dolin, Markova and other Ballets Russes luminaries, to White Lodge and his period at SWRB/BRB, including dancing the first night of the production of Romeo and Juliet which MacMillan revised for BRB. I remember that night well, having driven from Sunderland to Birmingham in torrential rain, nearly late for the performance start only to find that Kevin had replaced the guest artist from the Bolshoi, Fadeyechev, due to the latter's injury. (He doesn't mention that!) Some quite long excerpts from ballet scores, mostly from the best known ballets but ending with Faure's Requiem which he says he loves, plus some music from a musical and a film.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

……including dancing the first night of the production of Romeo and Juliet which MacMillan revised for BRB. I remember that night well, having driven from Sunderland to Birmingham in torrential rain, nearly late for the performance start only to find that Kevin had replaced the guest artist from the Bolshoi, Fadeyechev, due to the latter's injury. (He doesn't mention that!)

I was driving to Brum through the rain for that performance too.

Fadeyechev probably wasn’t going to be the greatest Romeo but neither, alas, was KOH. And there were so many times (like this one) when I raced in from Wales and found that he, not the artist I had booked for, was dancing.

Nice choices of music, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I was driving to Brum through the rain for that performance too.

Fadeyechev probably wasn’t going to be the greatest Romeo but neither, alas, was KOH. And there were so many times (like this one) when I raced in from Wales and found that he, not the artist I had booked for, was dancing.

Nice choices of music, though.

No, Alexei Fadeyechev was not in the same league as his fantastic father, Nicolai, not was Kevin. But Nina Ananiashvili more than made up for the stressful journey.

• Like 4