Ballet Deconstructed: from Kathryn Morgan

I'm not sure if this is Performances Seen & Gen Discussion or Doing Dance, it's bit of a crossover, but it is a discussion / deconstruction / technical spotlight on / of a performance of part of Swan Lake as analysed on her YT by US dancer Kathryn Morgan, and very informative it is too.

She has also 'done' Osipova which I posted in the Osipova thread.

Embedded link to her official channel.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

• zxDaveM changed the title to Nunez and Muntagirov Black Swan 'Deconstructed'

Yes, really enjoyed this and made me appreciate Nunez even more. I especially liked the bit she did on momentum, highlighting the second Marianela finishes her fouettees, Vadim immediately starts his. This keeps the momentum going unlike some other versions, (Russian companies are terrible for this) where there is a pause, sometimes for several minutes while the ballerina milks the applause. Then by the time the male dancer starts his fouettes all the momentum has gone.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kerfuffle said:

Dancers often use the applause to give the other dancer time to recover

I agree in between variations or at the end of the PDD, wKathryn Morgan also mentions during this video when Marianela has just finished her variation, but when you have a pause in the coda between fouettes for applause/bows/curtsey's etc., it does completely break up the momentum/story/excitement of what you're watching.

She says that it's a good thing that Marianela & Vadmin/at the Royal Ballet they run straight through both fouettes and keep going until the end of the coda.

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Everyone appeared to appreciate the previous two of this series from Kathryn Morgan, Marianela  Nunez 'Black Swan' and Natalia Osipova  'Jumping Secrets',  here is the latest.  I don't know if it should go here or in 'Doing Dance' as it's a crossover but I'm sure if it's the wrong place it can be moved.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Ballet Deconstructed: from Kathryn Morgan
  • 3 months later...

It's great the analysis , always Kathryn does a precise analysis. Marianela is my favorite and Kathryn is right on her analysis Nella have a expressive force , if you see swan lake. You will notice it also Coppelia in the act 1 you will notice it on her corporal language. 

Kathryn Morgan (former NYCB & Miami Ballet soloist) really had embraced adult ballet and has so much to offer online for adults - both those just beginning ballet & advanced students. She is even offering ballet weekend workshops focused on adults, to learn technique and also classical ballet choreography. I think it’s brilliant! She has a lot of online classes & tutorials available also - some are free and others you do need to subscribe for the content. She posts a lot of technique tips on Instagram. Definitely recommend checking out her site: https://kathrynmorganonline.com/