ABT to perform McGregor's Woolf Works in 2024

Interesting to see that ABT will be doing Woolf Works in 2024 - I had thought that the Royal might have wanted to hang on to those rights but I suppose in the current climate an American tour by the Company will not exactly be on their cards.  Understandable.  

I wonder too if Ferri will appear in its American premiere season as she spent the large body of her career, of course, with ABT.  I'm sure that would certainly be celebrated when ABT is at the MET.  

'ABT will present the North American premiere of Wayne McGregor's Woolf Works at Segerstrom April 11-14,  2024' 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

They’ll be the third company to perform it after the Royal and La Scala!

I had a hunch ABT would want to snap it up as they pride themselves on storytelling. I’m sure Ferri will make her return but I also suspect Murphy and Copeland may take on the role as well (if Copeland ever makes it back on stage that is, it feels like it’s been ages!).

• Like 3

When Woolf Works was announced, I figured that Gillian Murphy would dance Woolf Works.  Murphy was highly esteemed for her performance in Fall River Legend.  She and Devon Teuscher are the two ABT principals I can imagine in Woolf Works.  ABT dancers do not have the dramatic depth and projection of The Royal Ballet dancers, with some wonderful exceptions, but I would rather see Woolf Works again than the previously scheduled mixed bill with Ballet Imperial.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LACAD said:

I had a hunch ABT would want to snap it up as they pride themselves on storytelling. 

hmm I don’t see much storytelling myself in Woolf Works.   It’s more suggestive.  

I do agree with others above that Gillian Murphy could be an eye-opener in this.   

• Like 3

On 24/08/2023 at 21:49, Bruce Wall said:

I wonder too if Ferri will appear in its American premiere season as she spent the large body of her career, of course, with ABT.  I'm sure that would certainly be celebrated when ABT is at the MET.  

Oh this must surely be a given????

And this would now top my Fantasy Lottery Win Ballet Travel Season!! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Would be interesting to hear what ABT audiences think of Woolf Works and RDB audiences think of Dante Project! Alessandra Ferri returning to ABT to reprise the role she created in Woolf Works would be brilliant- a homecoming of sorts- if that could happen. (I can’t fly over to see it, but she is really wonderful in WW.) Gilliam Murphy is also another excellent candidate for the role.

• Like 2