RBS summer school

En Pointe

Yay I finally worked out how to post on here. I'm not very good with computers. To reply to Angela's question about not receiving your letter yet, I think I read somewhere on the old forum that the letters sometimes get sent out in batches. I know my dd's friend got her audition confirmation/information two days before dd did. Although that was over the Christmas period, maybe it was just a busy time x

Thanks Peach

DD's JA teacher advised contacting them so I emailed on Monday (still get so nervous talking to them on the phone!!) and still haven't heard anything by return email or post. Have kind of dismissed it as a no now anyway and am looking at other options! But you are right about the letters - a friend of ours waited 5 days longer than us to hear about associates! And my mind is listening to the 'and they send out the yes letters first' line of thought! ;)

Angela,

Don't be nervous about calling them (though I can understand why, I am just a bit further down the road). You are a paying customer. You paid £20 odd pounds for them to look at photos of your daughter and inform you of their decision. That's not including printing costs and postage. They haven't fulfilled their side of the bargain. It's not like you are asking for feedback, which they clearly do not offer.

I have always found the summer school team very helpful and it does sound like there has been a slip up with your letter. Might even be the post.

Hope it is good news when you do eventually hear!

• Like 2

Thanks tutoo2much

Finally got a reply by email saying letter must have been lost in the post and an email copy of it -SWL for us again so will continue my search for alternatives but at least now I know and can stop feeling persecuted!! Well done to all of those with places :D

Glad you finally got some news and a fantastic achievment for your dd Angela. Tell her well done from us. On the subject of alternatives I think Yorkshire Ballet Summer School looks amazing although we have no personal experience. I think they take them from the age of 10, and English National Ballet run a summer school that you also have to be 10 for. I think you can board at YBSS but not sure about ENB. Perhaps someone in the know could offer more guidance. I'm sure there are others, but these are two I came across recently x

Thanks for those suggestions Peach - certainly both worth a look into. DD has a friend who has done NYB but think only main cast (12 and over) board. Also may look into the RAD syllabus based summer school in Bournemouth (nearest we'll get to a holiday this year!

:)

You are correct that only main cast board for NYB. One summer school you may consider is what used to be called Yorkshire Assembly and is now I think Louise Browne Scholarship Schools summer school in York. Entry is 1st come rather than by audition but my elder DD managed to get a place 3 years ago after waiting in vain for a summer school place off the waiting list for RBS. Entry and groups are based on RAD vocational grades and each day they did a vocational grade class, repertoire ballet class and jazz. The teaching was excellent. When my DD went it was just north of Leeds and she boarded while we holidayed in Yorkshire but you can go as a day student if you wish DD to stay with you at night. Incidentally, my younger DD met yours recently I believe. I was either signing her in or out of a class in Birmingham and saw someone with your name (angela) had signed just before me. Small world?

thanks 2dancersmum

Small world indeed - was it the studio to stage insight day? If so we are also doing the next one on 12th Feb so maybe see you/your daughter there and get to say hello! And thanks for the info re Louise Browne - you've solved a mystery for me as I knew I'd heard of 2 Yorkshire based ones (Scholars and Seminars??) but my searching only came up with one. Will look into that one this evening.

:)

• Like 1

I wonder if it is worth waiting for the RBS deadline for people to send in their acceptance to summer school, before commiting elsewhere. I don't have any evidence of this, but I wonder if a few people on the waiting list get an acceptance letter when RBS know how many people have declined places.

Angela, my daughter is there on Monday 13th - the Insight Days are really good value arent they!

Indeed BankruptMum - a little hidden gem! My DD has only done one (she's just 11) and she was blown away by the older group! i liked that we got to watch them too! I wish we could do all 4 of the Birmingham ones this year but unfortunately the last 2 clash with festival. But thoroughly reccomend them if do-able distance wise. :)

This year, 1,403 aspiring young artists aged 10 -18 applied for places, including almost 440 from the regions and nations of the United Kingdom. A record total of 55 different countries were represented among applicants, including first-ever applications from Bosnia, Croatia, Macau, Mauritius, Serbia, Tanzania and Venezuela. The Summer School is held at the Lower School, Richmond Park and at the Upper School in London’s Covent Garden. It continues to grow as one of the key dance training courses on the international dance circuit and an opportunity to share the resources and expertise of the School with as many people as possible. The 349 students offered places are given one or two weeks of intensive classes in classical ballet together with sessions focussing on other styles of dance including contemporary, musical theatre and creative dance.

Found this information on the Royal Ballet School web-site. Not as many UK applicants as I would imagine.

Edited by tutoo2much
  • Like 1

Gosh that is indeed a lot of applicants for summer school!

Re Insight days - yes my DD will be there again on the 12th Feb. Actually both my DDs will be. Like you they are only doing the 1st two dates as the final weekend clashes. My elder DD has been going for years but this will be her last one as she felt she was no longer really benefitting from it but it was the 1st one for my younger DD. It will be interesting to see how they go in February with one only group as there musy be a wide range of abilities and levels. Bankrupt Mum my youngest DD is also there on the 13th for the Taster session so maybe see you there.