Less well known ballet companies

On 30/01/2024 at 21:39, theunderdog said:

Shame. But at least these ballerinas who probably trained for many years to just get a shot on the big stage, got to realise their dream in the corps of Swan Lake and probs had the time of their god damn lives entertaining you ;) We have a very high opinion of what Ballet should be in then UK. It's probably what has led to all these other threads lately. To say BRB, RBS and Northern, and that ilke, are the only ones worthy of touring and sharing their passion with audiences is a shame. They already have the monopoly in London, so I think it's time for the little guys to have a shot (Varna established in 2023....wonder how good the first RBS production was?...if only we had forums back then!). Give them all a chance I say and if it is not your cup of tea don't go again. They will be someone's cup of tea and that's OK:)

Whilst I appreciate your defence - the point of a forum is to share opinion. Both positive and negative. 

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/01/2024 at 21:39, theunderdog said:

Shame. But at least these ballerinas who probably trained for many years to just get a shot on the big stage, got to realise their dream in the corps of Swan Lake and probs had the time of their god damn lives entertaining you ;) We have a very high opinion of what Ballet should be in then UK. It's probably what has led to all these other threads lately. To say BRB, RBS and Northern, and that ilke, are the only ones worthy of touring and sharing their passion with audiences is a shame. They already have the monopoly in London, so I think it's time for the little guys to have a shot (Varna established in 2023....wonder how good the first RBS production was?...if only we had forums back then!). Give them all a chance I say and if it is not your cup of tea don't go again. They will be someone's cup of tea and that's OK:)

The Varna company was not formed in 2022, it is the touring State Ballet of Siberia renamed.  Same promoters, organisers, owners, sets, costumes and productions.  The only thing that changed was the dancers and the touring company name.  

They ditched their Russian dancers when the performances were all cancelled by UK theatres after February 2022.  Subsequently hired lesser quality Western ones.  All of whom including soloists and corps are 1-2 years out of training and have not been able to get jobs at any other companies in Europe.  That speaks volumes for the (lack of) quality.  

I don’t have a problem with lesser quality dancers getting a chance to perform.  Not to I have a problem with lesser quality troupes touring … just don’t charge me £70 for it as they did at Bristol Hippodrome.  I’d pay that or more (and I do) for the better quality companies.  

it’s the audiences that are getting a raw deal … lesser quality at the wrong price.  

• Like 2

Even circle seats in Row A at the Dome for Ballet Theatre U.K. are only £19-50. I’m paying £16 for the Circle central back row as the view is good from  almost anywhere upstairs except on extreme sides. 

• Like 2