Interesting topic affecting dancers, REDs.

Lifeafterballet

3 minutes ago, Farawaydancer said:

Lots of information around this now thankfully. 

Sadly and in our personal experience I don’t believe that to be the case in ballet schools and companies. 
My daughter had all the signs and was poorly managed, supported and advised. Two years after stopping ballet she is still dealing with the effects of REDs. 

image.thumb.png.fddd75d4dc8f215b3a08fc0b8c468fe3.png

• Like 3

isn’t this just anorexia by another name? Over exercising is a symptom. I think the ‘migratory theory’  for eating disorders is interesting, lots of talk

of negative energy balance (from exercise, illness, not just dieting) being a trigger in those genetically prone

Edited by Peony

16 hours ago, Peony said:

isn’t this just anorexia by another name? Over exercising is a symptom. I think the ‘migratory theory’  for eating disorders is interesting, lots of talk

of negative energy balance (from exercise, illness, not just dieting) being a trigger in those genetically prone

Anorexia Nervosa is a clinical condition that can result in RED-S. In laymans terms, anorexia means not eating enough.

RED-S is a physical condition that can be caused by anorexia nervosa, but can also be caused by unintentional lack of nutrition (so not consciously restricting), too much activity or inadequate rest. 

• Like 4