Remembering David Vaughan - livestream from New York - Wednesday 30th November

Ten years ago David Vaughan began a series of monthly events at the NY Public Library of the Performing Arts, at which he talked about and showed films from the library's immense dance archives  - other dance historians have carried on with the idea since his death, and this is a special edition to commemorate the anniversary.

Details

• Like 3

NYPL Lincoln Center has -- for so, so long - been a treasured organisation.  I remember so, so many programmes from the 70's onwards.  It has certainly been a crucial part of my dance education for which I am so, so very grateful - and all at no charge.  It is for this reason I have left them resources in my will.  They are a TRUE role model in so, so many ways.  

• Like 4

Alastair Macaulay put some more detail on his instagram about this and it sounds fascinating. I was able to register for it so hopefully the livestream is available to watch outside the US.

"The Dance Division of the New York Public Library is celebrating the tenth anniversary of its “The Historian is In” monthly presentation. This began life with the much-loved David Vaughan, critic and historian of dance and other arts, former longterm curator of the Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation and author of the definitive critical study of Frederick Ashton and his ballets.

This Wednesday at 1pm, live at the Bruno Walter auditorium and on line, librarian Daisy Pommer (David’s friend and colleague at Lincoln Center), John Goodman (translator of André Levinson and assistant to David at the Library), Mindy Aloff (interviewer of David for his Library oral history), and myself will be presenting a rich selection of the films that David presented. These will include choreography by August Bournonville, Leonide Massine, Bronislava Nijinska, Buddy Bradley, George Balanchine, Frederick Ashton, Merce Cunningham, and James Waring, with dancing by David Blair, Oleg Briansky, Carolyn Brown, Anthony Dowell, Alan Good, Nikolaj Hübbe, Catherine Kerr, Toni Lander, Lourdes Lopez, Natalia Makarova,Jessie Matthews, Nadia Nerina, Aileen Passloff, Georgina Parkinson, Susan Quinn Young, Kristy Santimyer, Kevin Schroder, María Tallchief, Zenaida Yanowsky….

Please come, please watch. Long before his death, David Vaughan became known as one of the cultural treasures of New York; the “The Historian Is In” series now survives as another, continuing, such treasure. Please celebrate." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1