Last weekend I had the pleasure to see Cranko's Romeo and Juliet in Munich. Main cast: Maria Baranova, Jinhao Zhang as R&J, Shale Wagman (Mercutio), Robin Strona (Tybalt), Yago Gonzaga (Benvolio).
It was the 3rd of only 3 Romeo and Juliet performances this year (will be up again next year).
The orchestra was fabulous. I was sitting in the first row, where the sound can be a bit strenuous, but it wasn't the case and I thoroughly enjoyed the music.

I was very touched by Maria Baranova's Juliet, which was a debut for her in Munich. She really captivated this character, and especially in 3rd act won me totally over. Her dancing and acting was just heartbreaking. And the impact the role had on her was obvious in the first curtain call for R&J only, on the dark stage. She was still totally immersed in the final scene and couldn't let go. Jinhao supported her and for the curtain call with the entire cast, she was more back to life then.

As for Jinhao Zhang: he was a reliable and strong partner, I just missed a bit a more diverse facial expression.

Robin Strona's debut was a strong and irreconcilable Tybalt. Yago Gonzaga was a Benvolio I almost didn't notice, as he was very laid back in a way in his debut that night.  It looked to me as if there hadn't been enough rehearsals with the props for this cast; for example, at one point the cape got stuck on Shale Wagman's foot.  With such a lot of debuts (8 in total), not enough rehearsals with props is a very risky thing to do, in my opinion.

Shale Wagman debuted as Mercutio and was....well Mercury Wagman. A role, as if it was made to be danced by him. Mischievous, flirty, fierce in sword fighting and heartbreaking and convincing in the death scene. Again, the phenomenon happened: as soon as he enters a stage, all eyes are on him. I spoke with other people so it's not just me who marvelled about him... 😃

In Act 3 Paris was so stiff that it was clear that he wasn't sure where to go/move. Pater Lorenzo entered the stage, when the staff who put the garden onstage hadn't left the stage yet. And Mercutio's sliding across the stage in his solo didn't happen, because Shale's foot got stuck on the floor. 🙈 He managed to catch himself very well though and finished with the required roll forward.  Anyway. He really owned this role. And the audience around me gasped and laughed and clapped.

It was a very joyful evening, Cranko's Romeo and Juliet is just a brilliant ballet.

I wish I could insert here my video(s) from curtain call but they are obviously too large.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Great revue Sabine!!  Shale was always going to be a star so sorry we lost him here in UK but very lucky for you! Seems an age since watching him with you ( the blue shoes night) at Sadlers Wells in Emerging Dancer! 
Glad to see other theatres have hitches with things occasionally 😏

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Great revue Sabine!!  Shale was always going to be a star so sorry we lost him here in UK but very lucky for you! Seems an age since watching him with you ( the blue shoes night) at Sadlers Wells in Emerging Dancer! 
Glad to see other theatres have hitches with things occasionally 😏

Hahaha Linda, I didn't know my shoes would have such an impact on you😃. I still have them btw. Come to Munich and I wear them again (maybe, depends on the ballet. I dress accordingly to Story or costumes😉).

• Like 1