Vocabulary for RAD Inter Foundation Exam - Is It Tested?

mumofdd

My daughter is taking her RAD Inter Foundation exam in December and is a little worried about all the vocabulary that she is expected to know.  She is making sure that she knows the focal and linking steps that will be tested in the free enchainment part of the exam, but does anyone know if all the other vocabulary will be "tested" during the exam please?

What she has to understand is that in the free enchainement the examiner does not demonstrate at all - she just says the names of the steps -what arms she wants (another lot of terminology) and to which direction or corner to face.  The candidate will be expected to perform it 4 times through, which is not easy.  Any of the linking steps can now be given with any of the focal steps.  I only teach my students over and under, because they cannot hear the difference between dessus and dessous,  but the examiners always say both terms, so it's okay.

21 hours ago, Dance*is*life said:

What she has to understand is that in the free enchainement the examiner does not demonstrate at all - she just says the names of the steps -what arms she wants (another lot of terminology) and to which direction or corner to face.  The candidate will be expected to perform it 4 times through, which is not easy.  Any of the linking steps can now be given with any of the focal steps.  I only teach my students over and under, because they cannot hear the difference between dessus and dessous,  but the examiners always say both terms, so it's okay.

In terms of direction/corner, do they actually tell you which one or do they use the numbers like in the exam book? Hoping it isn't the latter as otherwise I'll need to learn which number is which direction!

The experience of the free enchainement does seem to depend upon the examiner. Recent experience is that not all examiners use over and under, preferring dessus and dessous. This has particularly been the case with examiners from other countries at London HQ. Some also use their hands while setting the enchainement which delighted the candidates! However, they have all used the numbering system for direction. 

• Like 1

On 25/10/2022 at 11:30, NeverTooOld said:

In terms of direction/corner, do they actually tell you which one or do they use the numbers like in the exam book? Hoping it isn't the latter as otherwise I'll need to learn which number is which direction!

I would also say that they probably use both croise etc and corner numbers so important to learn it all.    LaCamargo - I get round the dessus, dessous problem by explaining the problem to the examiner beforehand.  As neither English nor French is their first language they simply cannot hear the difference!  They are invariably accommodating!   😊

• Like 1