Ballet Theatre UK Beauty and the Beast tour

I saw this ballet at the Grand Theatre, Blackpool, on Friday and can thoroughly recommend it. It is a small company; only 14 dancers but they made up for the small scale (necessary for the small stage at the Grand) by delivering a quality performance; great dancing, interesting recorded score by Dvorak, effective backdrops and scenery and really quality costumes. Also lighting that was atmospheric without being dark (ROH please take note!) With a running time of 2 hours (including interval) it was short enough for children also, and would be a great introduction to ballet; lovely tutu wedding scene at the end.

It is doing a long tour, mainly one night stands though there are 4 nights at Brighton the end of December. I noticed it is coming to the Lowther Pavilion in Lytham in Jan and am seriously considering going again.

The only Beauty and the Beast I've seen as a ballet is the Bintley BRB version but though this may not be as polished a production with no magic tricks it can still hold it's own.

Next year they're touring Romeo and Juliet. if it is anything like Beauty and the Beast it will be worth seeing.

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/ballet-theatre-uk

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 7

I have to agree with the above. I saw this earlier this evening at the Wyeside Arts Centre in Builth Wells where the stage is minute, in fact it's not even really a stage as it is on a level with where you enter if you're sitting at the front. I really admire how the dancers cope with such a small area. I think this company does a great job in taking live ballet to places that never normally get the chance to see any. The standard of the dancing is really high and as already mentioned very good quality costumes which I know are made in their own workshops. The audience obviously liked it as there were lots whoops and cheers at the end.

• Like 2

Hoping to catch this in Brighton in December …a ballet class night out! 
I’ve seen most of their productions in Brighton and you don’t get that much ballet here at all so always very welcome! They usually get reasonable audience attendances here too but I’ve not seen this one so looking forward to it. The costumes are always fab too. 

• Like 2