JAs 2013

mumstheword

My 9 year old auditioned for year 4 last year for Elmhurst and RBS but was unsuccessful, she is really keen to try again for year 5! She really enjoyed the experience last time and wasn't too disheartened when it was a no, so think going to go for it again, any words of advice?

My daughter got a year 6 place this time and a few there with her got in at year 5 who were unsuccessful at year 4. There were also some who got year 6 although unsuccessful at years 4 and 5 (my daughter hadn't auditioned before). My other daughter auditioned for a year 4 place but didn't get one but she has been totally put off trying again (not because she didn't enjoy it but I think because her sister got in and she didn't).

So we might convince her to try next year for a year 6 place. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy the experience again. She shouldn't be put off it's a secon no as there are definitely kids who have been third time lucky!

Also just to add that my daughter who got a place is only grade 1 at ballet and must have got a place on potential. she has a moderately good turn out (not amazing) and can do left leg splits (just!- but no others). however, she is quite musical and is hard working. She has a very slight body frame but others in her JA class are much taller / more developed / bigger. i wouldn't like to say what it is exactly they are looking for but as long as she relaxes, concentrates and enjoys herself then she'll have done her best. Good luck!

Edited by eloise_please

Thanks! My DD does very well at her local school and is a confident child but is also pretty sensible for her age and understands that there are a lot of reasons we don't understand why some children are selected and others not! She is quite tall and although no means overweight is not slight!

Most places don't offer many year 4's but I know of several who have got year 6 places who have been unsuccessful in the past. It doesn't hurt to audition each year if you can get the time off school, and as long as your DD/DS's are prepared that it might still be a no. Also be aware that RBS and Elmhurst JA schemes focus on ballet mainly, although I believe Elmhurst do offer an optional jazz class, they tend to accept those children with physiques best suited to ballet. I taught a pupil several years ago who was very musical, very strrong, always did well at festivals, had excellent flexibility but didn't get RBS or Elmhurst JA's. Perhaps she was a bit 'showy' for them, but I'd have snapped her up had I seen her at a MIDAS audition (MIDAS didn't exist then!).

Hi,

My daughter auditioned last year on a whim (first year your allowed to) She was 8. She got on the SWL RBS but no place came up. Has anyones child got in, in successive years after a swl?

She is desperate to get in. Might also try Elmhurst this year. Do they look for similar things?

Loads of people on this forum have had dds or dss who were originally on swl. And again we know loads of others not on this forum.

So definately worth trying again. My ds was on swl , never got off it but got a place the following year when we were rung up to offer him a weekly place instead of the fortnightly session we originally applied for!

Two pupils of mine, one girl and one boy were on swl before they got their places. My girl pupil was a ja, then on MA waiting for the entire MA years, then got onto SAs!!

Both my ds and male pupil ended up as full time pupils of RBS and my son now dances professionally.

• Like 1